TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago

Was very surprised to hear this news. They're going to be a lot more restricted at (New) TVC than TLS. I don't think its been thought through.

I expect it's been extensively thought through for some time.

Perish the thought that management make a decision which ends up being a total nightmare for those on the front line.

The production managers and the show's execs will have been deciding on this for ages. 'Management' don't just book out studios willy nilly because that's all that's available. Every consideration will have been made for which studio is best for the production, including what's available for anything they might want to do outside the studio; no doubt they've worked with Studioworks to ensure there's some sort of provisions available for them to do this kind of thing. It's one of ITV's most important shows and the studio is key to it, this won't have been some back of a fag packet booking.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I like this notion that television is perfectly managed because it's telly, but I'll defer to your superior knowledge on this particular booking.
GO
gottago
I like this notion that television is perfectly managed because it's telly, but I'll defer to your superior knowledge on this particular booking.

Well I don't really get this notion that everyone in charge of decisions is making the wrong one without thinking about how the show works and what it needs. The execs of even the most basic daytime quiz show will have gone through several studio options before deciding on which one is the best for the series. Takeaway has some of the best production and editorial staff working in entertainment and I'm not sure why it's being suggested that they'd not extensively think through such a major decision.
WH
Whataday Founding member
No matter how big a production, poor decisions can be made which can make things very difficult in practice. We'll see how things go when the show relocates. I stand by my opinion that its not been thought out properly, so we'll have to agree to disagree. And move on.
BL
bluecortina
I expect it's been extensively thought through for some time.

Perish the thought that management make a decision which ends up being a total nightmare for those on the front line.

The production managers and the show's execs will have been deciding on this for ages. 'Management' don't just book out studios willy nilly because that's all that's available. Every consideration will have been made for which studio is best for the production, including what's available for anything they might want to do outside the studio; no doubt they've worked with Studioworks to ensure there's some sort of provisions available for them to do this kind of thing. It's one of ITV's most important shows and the studio is key to it, this won't have been some back of a fag packet booking.

Agreed.
BL
bluecortina

Well I don't really get this notion that everyone in charge of decisions is making the wrong one without thinking about how the show works and what it needs. The execs of even the most basic daytime quiz show will have gone through several studio options before deciding on which one is the best for the series. Takeaway has some of the best production and editorial staff working in entertainment and I'm not sure why it's being suggested that they'd not extensively think through such a major decision.

Have to agree with this too.
NG
noggin Founding member
If Saturday Night Takeaway are allowed to make as much use of Television Centre as they do the London Studios currently, that sounds like something to look forward to.

Was very surprised to hear this news. They're going to be a lot more restricted at (New) TVC than TLS. I don't think its been thought through.

No - they'll have just chosen TC1 on a whim... After all there are so many well-equipped, large, purpose-built TV Studios with decent connectivity and flexible lighting grids available to chose from in London (heck England...) now.

Where would you suggest ITV move Takeaway to?
WH
Whataday Founding member
You can all keep coming at me with the same point, it's not going to change my opinion that it's the wrong decision and I think when put into practice they will struggle. I'm not saying it won't work, but it will be more difficult to have the same sort of scale production they had at TLS.

I think HQ1 would have been a better fit for the scale of production expected of Saturday Night Takeaway.
HC
Hatton Cross
HQ1 has a problem though. Salford.
Sorry, but the guest list that Takeaway has, usually swerves to big star London availability.
Plus TVC has two different tube lines for the audience to get to/from - whereas Media City has one tram line, the 50 bus and a car park.

ITV were going to put the lads either in TVC or Elstree (although Pinewood may have been an outside bet - (one series of their awful Push The Button gameshow was recorded there), so I think on reflection it's the right choice. Let the OB inserts travel the country, pick at 'random' someone from a different part of the country to play Win The Ads each week, but the show is better off intrenched from a studio in the capital.
MarkT76, DE88 and gordonthegopher gave kudos
PC
p_c_u_k
I'd like to believe I'm the first person to make the case for having network productions based across the country. I reckon it's entirely unhealthy for everything to come from London, and I applaud the BBC's commitment to doing programming which doesn't have to be in London from the likes of Salford. There is no reason why BBC Sport, CBeebies and stuff like that has to be from London.

But even I would say Saturday Night Takeaway has to come from London. Beyond the guest availability, there's a level of excitement attached with London than most of the UK wouldn't have about Salford. This isn't the 1980s and we're not doing quiz of the week from Norwich any more.
:-(
A former member
Good to see Catchphrase is going back to Maidstone again why was it moved a series to kent house? Hopeful Maidstone will get a few other shows.
JA
james-2001
Good to see Catchphrase is going back to Maidstone again why was it moved a series to kent house? Hopeful Maidstone will get a few other shows.

It was hardly "moved" seeing as the current Catchphrase is technically an entirely different production from the original version. All but the first Carlton series were made in Nottingham anyway, so it hasn't been in Maidstone since 1994.
DE88 and Lou Scannon gave kudos

Newer posts