TV Home Forum

Channel 4 to remain in London HQ

Three regional hubs, one of which will be a second HQ to be created, second news base to be set up (March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Carmarthen and Wrexham also want C4 too, but that's not going to happen.

14 days later

BL
bluecortina
I was always led to believe most, if not all, of the actual nuts and bolts production offices were originally in Soho because of the nearness of the GPO/BT tower - circuit costs being charged by the mile? The major ones predated Channel 4. No doubt a myriad of complex reasons.
IS
Inspector Sands
I was always led to believe most, if not all, of the actual nuts and bolts production offices were originally in Soho because of the nearness of the GPO/BT tower - circuit costs being charged by the mile? The major ones predated Channel 4. No doubt a myriad of complex reasons.

That is probably true of facilities houses especially the very long established ones such as Molinaire, TVI etc.

However it's not true of independent production companies who don't need connections to the Tower, they're just offices. Being near to Channel 4 was important, though of course in some cases so was being near to those facilities houses

62 days later

SP
Spencer
Channel 4 has today announced the shortlisted cities for its second HQ. Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and Leeds make the list.

I’m not quite clear though - by saying Manchester, do they mean Salford, or not Salford?

Edit: just seen it’s *Greater* Manchester.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/30/channel-4-cities-national-hq-birmingham-manchester-glasgow-liverpool-leeds
Last edited by Spencer on 30 May 2018 1:38pm
SI
simpfeld
Strange how they say the new seconds HQ will have a studio. I thought Channel 4 deliberately (maybe even by charter/legislation) didn't have any facilities, it was all to be in the hands of production companies.
DA
davidhorman
Cardiff are not the only city

Did anyone else read that in the voice of Denzel from Absolutely? Just me?
London Lite and Spencer gave kudos
HC
Hatton Cross
Horseferry Road had a small studio when it opened, and was actively marketed for indies as '124 Facilities', so they are not banned from owning or operating studios.

Where did Right To Reply come from, as that was the only Channel 4 produced long form programme? Was there a small studio in the old original Hq in Charlotte Street?
EG
eggsontoast
Where did Right To Reply come from, as that was the only Channel 4 produced long form programme? Was there a small studio in the old original Hq in Charlotte Street?

Yes there was - later operated by Channel One London I recall.
MA
Markymark
Horseferry Road had a small studio when it opened, and was actively marketed for indies as '124 Facilities', so they are not banned from owning or operating studios.

Yes, a three camera studio, also used for in-vision continuity in the early years (mostly at closedown) . I went in it once, about the same size as the two BBC pres studios (that were used for weather, Whistle Test, Late Night Line Up etc)
FA
fanoftv
Is that the basement studio that T4 initually used following launch in 1998?
IS
Inspector Sands
Channel 4 has today announced the shortlisted cities for its second HQ. Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Liverpool and Leeds make the list.

I’m not quite clear though - by saying Manchester, do they mean Salford, or not Salford?

Edit: just seen it’s *Greater* Manchester.

And interestingly its the 'West Midlands' not 'Birmingham' too.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I think it's a joint bid from Coventry and Brum, as part of one of these stupidly named "City Region" jobs.

Newer posts