The Newsroom

Jeremy Vine on 5

New brand for The Wright Stuff, beginning 9:15am, 3rd Sept with Jeremy Vine (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RI
Richard
In times of overseas crises that affect British citizens, the foreign office usually gives out 0207 008 1500 which is sometimes corrected by news broadcasters but not always.
DV
dvboy
In times of overseas crises that affect British citizens, the foreign office usually gives out 0207 008 1500 which is sometimes corrected by news broadcasters but not always.

A number that wouldn't have existed under the previous 0171 code. You couldn't dial 008 1500 as a local number in Central London because it starts with a 0.

(There are in fact some 020 70xx and also 020 71xx numbers that did exist before 020 but they were for internal BT use only).
LL
London Lite Founding member
Also note that local 020 numbers also start with a 3.
BP
Bob Paisley
One thing ITN haven't changed is the blasted phone number format still after all these years they get it wrong.

In what way?

They use the 0207 000 0000 format instead of 020 7000 0000, the latter is the correct way of reading out the telephone number as 0207 isn't a STD code. The 7's and 8's are a legacy from when we had 071/0171 and 081/0181 in London.

You're a person after my own heart. This has driven me mad for years, ever since the new dialling code format was introduced.
IS
Inspector Sands
Also note that local 020 numbers also start with a 3.

There are some that start with a 0 too. With those the 020 is always needed so there are used for numbers that are redirected from others such as 0845 and not normally manually dialled.

Seeing 0207 or 0208 annoys me too. It didn't help that when the numbers starting 3 were introduced, it was all over the news as a new dialling code for London, confusing people even more
Richard and London Lite gave kudos
MA
Markymark
In what way?

They use the 0207 000 0000 format instead of 020 7000 0000, the latter is the correct way of reading out the telephone number as 0207 isn't a STD code. The 7's and 8's are a legacy from when we had 071/0171 and 081/0181 in London.

You're a person after my own heart. This has driven me mad for years, ever since the new dialling code format was introduced.

I live in the Thames Valley, it drives me mad to see Reading area numbers as 01189 xxx xxx. The code used to be 0734, then became 01734, then 0118 9xxx. I spotted a poster on a lamp post the other day, with an 0734 number, at first I thought that's done well to survive 30 years, before realising it was a mobile phone number.
I've seen a couple of 0734 mobile numbers recently, so presumably just been released ?
GM
Gary McEwan

I live in the Thames Valley, it drives me mad to see Reading area numbers as 01189 xxx xxx. The code used to be 0734, then became 01734, then 0118 9xxx. I spotted a poster on a lamp post the other day, with an 0734 number, at first I thought that's done well to survive 30 years, before realising it was a mobile phone number.
I've seen a couple of 0734 mobile numbers recently, so presumably just been released ?

Vodafone have had 0734 numbers for ages. Our work mobiles all start with 0734 xxxxxxx. I live in Glasgow and people that put a number after 0141, eg 01415 drives me mad!
WA
watchingtv
As I wasn't an avid viewer to TWS, I'm not sure if ITN have changed the way they book cover for Matthew, but it appears it's an all female week of guest presenters.

Monday: Daisy McAndrew
Tuesday: Aasmah Mir
Wednesday: Claudia-Liza Armah
Thursday: Ayesha Hazarika
Good Friday: TBC

With Matt Barbett no longer working on Channel 5 & Richard Madley on ITV, Penny Smith would normally be the next in line in more recent years.
LL
As I wasn't an avid viewer to TWS, I'm not sure if ITN have changed the way they book cover for Matthew, but it appears it's an all female week of guest presenters.

Monday: Daisy McAndrew
Tuesday: Aasmah Mir
Wednesday: Claudia-Liza Armah
Thursday: Ayesha Hazarika
Good Friday: TBC

With Matt Barbett no longer working on Channel 5 & Richard Madley on ITV, Penny Smith would normally be the next in line in more recent years.

Regular stand-in Anne Diamond tomorrow.
:-(
A former member
Are they still having issues with foul-mouthed callers? Which of course is really childish and not completely hilarious in the slightest Wink
RA
radiolistener
I'm surprised it's gone on so long, it's totally puerile and even the puerile phone calls get boring after a while.
LL
I'm surprised it's gone on so long, it's totally puerile and even the puerile phone calls get boring after a while.

It's kept plenty of has beens on tv!

Newer posts