TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I'm still wondering if any future elections will come from TC1 now it's back open, or will still be at Elstree D now they've equipped the studio with all the comms and VR stuff there?
JK
JKDerry
I'm still wondering if any future elections will come from TC1 now it's back open, or will still be at Elstree D now they've equipped the studio with all the comms and VR stuff there?

They will remain at BBC Elstree Studio D, as Television Centre's TC1 will be a prime studio for big entertainment shows, and since TC2 and TC3 are now booked solid for the next four years with ITV Daytime, it means TC1 is the only big studio available at Television Centre for other productions, so Elstree is perfect for them. They are so suited to it, and Studio D is slightly bigger than TC1 also. I think it is safe to say that all general elections they will stay at Elstree.
BR
Brekkie
And as you've said that safe to say it won't be the case. Very Happy

Guess it'll depend on availability should another snap election be called.
DE
deejay
As mentioned earlier in the thread, a big consideration will be made concerning election programmes to the comms set up. It takes an enormous number of circuits and Elstree has been accordingly equipped. In the heyday of TVC, CAR in the central wedge handled a huge number of circuits within the building and the corporation as a whole. That’s no longer the case and the remaining studios there have a far simpler connection to the BBC. That’s not to say it couldn’t happen but I’d have thought it unlikely. That said, the iconic image of the facade TVC has been highlighted in the past with graphics projections (which haven’t quite worked as well at BH).
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I would not be surprised if they stayed at Elstree for elections, for no other reason than all of the comms facilities have been set up there.

Does availability comes into snap elections, or are there provisions in the contracts to kick other bookings out?
NG
noggin Founding member
As mentioned earlier in the thread, a big consideration will be made concerning election programmes to the comms set up. It takes an enormous number of circuits and Elstree has been accordingly equipped. In the heyday of TVC, CAR in the central wedge handled a huge number of circuits within the building and the corporation as a whole. That’s no longer the case and the remaining studios there have a far simpler connection to the BBC. That’s not to say it couldn’t happen but I’d have thought it unlikely. That said, the iconic image of the facade TVC has been highlighted in the past with graphics projections (which haven’t quite worked as well at BH).

Though now the BBC is entirely IP for circuits pretty much - it's more a case of where you can get reasonably basic connectivity and physical kit. You could do the entire BBC Election show from almost any Premiere league football ground in lines terms if you wanted to I suspect...

Elstree makes sense because there is a precedent set for doing it from there, and the kit that is needed has been used there before, but the reality is that you could rig a lot of what is needed almost anywhere now.
RO
robsmith_08
Will ITV News have a new studio as Well as News London or pretty much the same?
DK
DanielK

ITV News & News London are not moving...since they aren't based at the South Bank
IT
itsrobert Founding member

No, ITV News and ITV News London both originate from ITN's headquarters on Gray's Inn Road. Nothing to do with TLS.
EA
Earlie37
Wasn't there talk of some ITV departments actually moving to Gray's Inn Road from South Bank whilst the work takes place? Not anything studio based but behind the scenes/everyday running of ITV departments?
IS
Inspector Sands
Wasn't there talk of some ITV departments actually moving to Gray's Inn Road from South Bank whilst the work takes place? Not anything studio based but behind the scenes/everyday running of ITV departments?

Yes, in fact see the original announcement to ITV staff at the beginning of this thread:
https://www.tvforum.co.uk/forums/post1048444#post-1048444

In order to do this, we will need to move out of our Southbank building to two interim sites nearby, which we expect to start from early 2018. We’ll have additional office space in our current Gray’s Inn Road base as well as new offices a short walk around the corner from there, at Waterhouse Square in Holborn.
DB
dbl

ITV Creative is moving to Gray's Inn Road (ITN), the London team anyways.

Newer posts