TV Home Forum

Formula 1 in 2018

New graphics (March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Ste Founding member
Ste posted:
ESPN in the US who have taken over the rights from NBC are now taking the entire Sky Sports F1 programme.

Not quite. They are only taking the world feed coverage for practice and qualifying but are taking the On The Grid section which broadcasts 40 minutes before lights out so USA viewers will see Brundle's Grid Walk.

From what I saw on Twitter they appear to have taken the entire programme for practice this morning. This seems to also suggest they are taking the entire coverage - http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11249198/f1-in-2018-sky-sports-f1-to-join-forces-with-espn
TM
TMD_24
Ste posted:
Ste posted:
ESPN in the US who have taken over the rights from NBC are now taking the entire Sky Sports F1 programme.

Not quite. They are only taking the world feed coverage for practice and qualifying but are taking the On The Grid section which broadcasts 40 minutes before lights out so USA viewers will see Brundle's Grid Walk.

From what I saw on Twitter they appear to have taken the entire programme for practice this morning. This seems to also suggest they are taking the entire coverage - http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/11249198/f1-in-2018-sky-sports-f1-to-join-forces-with-espn

They're not taking the full coverage for the race.

https://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2018/03/espns-formula-1-coverage-launches-this-week-with-australian-grand-prix/
FL
flaziola
rdd posted:
Eir Sport have the world feed with the Channel 4 commentary team, as in previous years. This is of course the last year that eir Sport and Channel 4 will have coverage before the sport goes Sky-exclusive in the U.K. and Ireland next year.

I like the new animations and graphics tweaks, including the logo on the captions which is a nice touch. The new FOM intro is nice (lets face it, the sweeping curves had been around for forever and a day and were getting tired). What’s bad? The font. The font is awful.

Just to add to that they've got rid of that God awful intro they inherited from Setanta. The new FOM intro works well as a programme opener.
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
dvboy posted:

New microphones, they will stand out on the grid.

Like the look of the mics.

Doesn't beat this one though!

RD
rdd Founding member

Just to add to that they've got rid of that God awful intro they inherited from Setanta.

That ones been around nearly as long as the Sweeping Curves!
XI
Xilla
I like the new FOM intro, the "F1 Theme" was immediately criticized when it was first uploaded online but seeing it used in it's correct context, it actually works Smile Thankfully they didn't take inspiration from the bland and instantly-dated FOM sting that was used from 2003-2008:

RD
rdd Founding member
rdd posted:

Just to add to that they've got rid of that God awful intro they inherited from Setanta.

That ones been around nearly as long as the Sweeping Curves!

Just to add a bit more detail, this is it. The tune is Screw by Theo Red and was first used in 2009, which I think was in fact the same year that the Sweeping Curves II ident was first used.

EA
Earlie37
For those who haven't seen the new graphics in action, there's plenty of examples here. Lots of colours for different things (e.g. tyres, sector times) are now on the go. Will take a while to get my head around it but I'm sure it will all start to make sense after a while!

EA
Earlie37
And for those interested in the new F1 theme - although we'll probably only ever hear the short version, it's actually 3 minutes long...

BK
bkman1990
Channel 4's own graphics have been largely unchanged like last year & the year before. The only thing changed from Channel 4's graphics is that the break bumpers is missing the white 4 logo. To begin their coverage; a VT was done by Mark Webber & Daniel Riccardo to talk about the F1 opener at Melbourne. For the OB; Steve Jones is there with Mark Webber & David Coulthard. And of course the coverage from Channel 4 is brilliant as usual.

There is a new sponsor for Channel 4's coverage this year which is BOSE which also include Ben Edwards voice in the new ad. In previous years of Channel 4's coverage; the sponsor ad was for Kayak.co.uk.
Last edited by bkman1990 on 24 March 2018 2:46pm - 2 times in total
HC
Hatton Cross
One thing I did notice more this morning watching Sky, and with ESPN taking their commentary, the cues into the commerical breaks during the race by David Croft are a lot more noticiable now.

Also, pretty sure Sky took the last break before the race without any bumpers topping or tailing it, just straight in and back again. Are they allowed to do that?
RD
rdd Founding member
At one point during the race FOM showed a caption (meaning to show Vettel and Hamilton, IIRC) but it came up “LASTNAME” instead!

Newer posts