TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark
Just rewinding the live feed, the DOG that's in 4:3 position disappears once the programme has finished, but the DOG that's in 16:9 position remains on screen for the rest of the junction and on the ident for the next programme. However, looking back at the recording I've just made from BBC Four SD on Freeview, when the programme ends and the picture reverts to 16:9, it can be seen that the extra DOG was not present, and then the 4:3 DOG disappears leaving the rest of the junction and the ident DOG-less as usual.

So it seems that the DOGs are still being added separately to the SD and HD feeds (I assume the online feed is the same as BBC Four HD?) even though I thought the SD feed was simply downconverted from the HD feed these days.

The DOG on HD used to say BBC FOUR HD, but that ceased a year or two ago, and the HD suffix was dropped. So perhaps there are still two DOG inserters, one in the SD tx path, and the other in the HD path, both triggered by the automation system? Not that that explains how both can be seen at once !
DJ
DJGM
http://djgm1974.kitamuracomputers.net/images/ToTP-BBCFOUR-BBCFOUR.png
IS
Inspector Sands

The DOG on HD used to say BBC FOUR HD, but that ceased a year or two ago, and the HD suffix was dropped. So perhaps there are still two DOG inserters, one in the SD tx path, and the other in the HD path, both triggered by the automation system? Not that that explains how both can be seen at once !

The both appearing at once is probably a scheduling error. They'll be triggered by the automation on an item by item basis. The 4:3 bug* disappeared as soon as the next item started I would assume that TOTP had flags for both and the inserters just obeyed that.

As for the difference between SD and HD, I'd assume they would only insert the logo once and then downconvert to SD. Unless of course Roberts preference for aspect ratios didn't mask or zoom out the pillarboxing thus cutting off the 16:9 logo.

*they're bugs or logos, I don't use the D word
BE
benriggers

This problem also occured again in the late-night repeat before it was rectified during Fine Young Cannibals.
JA
james-2001
BBC4 reminding us not to miss Live Aid this Saturday Razz

DE88, paul_hadley and sbahnhof 7 gave kudos
S7
sbahnhof 7
Most people forget Live Aid at Wembley was on BBC2, not BBC1.

- http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/search/0/20?adv=1&q=live+aid&media=all&yf=1985&yt=1985&mf=1&mt=12&tf=00%3A00&tt=00%3A00#search

Even a BBC article got it wrong. (BBC News on the DVD release in 2004 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3604680.stm)
VM
VMPhil
It was produced by Whistle Test - is that why it was on BBC2?
:-(
A former member
Strangely the BBC kept there copies and ignored request to destroy them. Did the BBC keep the Radio 1 feed aswell? I believe a few people plugged in to radio to the video machine to get Stereo sound on the vhs tapes?

NBC did get rid of their tapes but not MTV?
IS
Inspector Sands
Strangely the BBC kept there copies and ignored request to destroy them. Did the BBC keep the Radio 1 feed aswell? I believe a few people plugged in to radio to the video machine to get Stereo sound on the vhs tapes?

A while ago i watched the opening of the coverage on the BBC's archive and the audio on the 'tape' was from Radio 1, at least before the TV coverage started as the preceeding programme is heard. Whether that was so they had it in stereo or whether it was so there was a copy of the radio coverage I've no idea
IS
Inspector Sands
It was produced by Whistle Test - is that why it was on BBC2?

I suspect more because it was just a BBC2 sort of thing. Plus if course I assume that their schedule was easier to clear on a Saturday - no Grandstand for a start a
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Live Aid spontaneously fell off the air during The Who's performance due to a power failure:

But the radio broadcast, this one from somewhere in America, managed to keep going albeit in lower quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_O_zMzXBP0

What Radio 1 did I can't say.
VM
VMPhil

What Radio 1 did I can't say.

There was a video of what Radio 1 did on YouTube, but unfortunately it was deleted (I checked). Basically it cuts out like it did on the TV - then there's about 30-60 seconds of silence before a Radio 1/Live Aid jingle and the DJ reading out phone numbers to donate (different phone numbers depending on what part of the country you were in).

Newer posts