The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
a516 posted:
That set design would be seen as sexist in the UK...

(go to 1:40...)

Or standard at Fox News.
WW
WW Update
From Canada, a historical compilation of news opens used by CBC's The National since the 1970s:

And from Minneapolis / St. Paul, a behind-the-scenes look at WCCO's LiveEye helicopter, early '80s:

WW
WW Update
Speaking of The National, that was also the name of a short-lived flagship newscast on Australia's ABC in the mid-1980s. You'll recognize the music:

Brisbane had its own edition, presumably because Queensland did not observe Daylight Saving Time:

WW
WW Update
A historical compilation of news intros from TV3 in New Zealand:

WW
WW Update
To mark its final broadcast from Mainz, ZDF's Mittagsmagazin ("Midday Magazine") took a look back at its history:

The program will be moving to Berlin, where it will join its ARD sister show.

By the way, this is how Berlin's SFB (now RBB) reported on the launch of Mittgsmagazin back in 1989:

WO
Woodpecker
To mark its final broadcast from Mainz, ZDF's Mittagsmagazin ("Midday Magazine") took a look back at its history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7P8Lxqd6c

The program will be moving to Berlin, where it will join its ARD sister show.

By the way, this is how Berlin's SFB (now RBB) reported on the launch of Mittgsmagazin back in 1989:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtY6F7Ai8MM

Seems a shame to see both programmes move to Berlin after so many years coming from different parts of Germany (Mainz and Munich, for ZDF and ARD, respectively). I always thought that that gave a unique flavour to the lunchtime programmes. Still, you can't halt progress - and they'll at least be able to get more guests being based in the capital.
RK
Rkolsen

And from Minneapolis / St. Paul, a behind-the-scenes look at WCCO's LiveEye helicopter, early '80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9aDUN1hVD8

In MSP most stations share a helicopter (I think one may operate their own) and WCCO doesn’t operate/dispatch theirs. I learned from a WCCO Director that they get calls complaining about the helicopter overhead or wondering what’s going. Apparently KARE which dispatches/controls the helicopter or the company that actually owns it never bothered removing the giant 4. Generally shared helicopters don’t have logos or just say NEWS.
GU
guest03
Plugged in with Greta Van Susteren, Voice of America, 2018

GO
gottago
Who is the English version of VOA aimed at? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in a hotel abroad. It doesn’t seem to have anywhere near the same amount of coverage as the BBC, RT, France 24 or even DW.
CI
cityprod
Who is the English version of VOA aimed at? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it in a hotel abroad. It doesn’t seem to have anywhere near the same amount of coverage as the BBC, RT, France 24 or even DW.

The VOA English TV serivce was originally launched as WorldNet in 1983, and was basically a channel for local cable systems. It was merged with Voice of America Radio in 2004, and I think it is basically a legacy service at this point. Not sure if its still on cable anywhere, but there are 'affiliates' in Latin America, Africa and Asia.
RK
Rkolsen

The VOA English TV serivce was originally launched as WorldNet in 1983, and was basically a channel for local cable systems. It was merged with Voice of America Radio in 2004, and I think it is basically a legacy service at this point. Not sure if its still on cable anywhere, but there are 'affiliates' in Latin America, Africa and Asia.

I think it’s more radio at this point. The shortwave frequencies are directed towards Africa and parts of Asia.

Here’s their frequency schedule and a list of local affiliates:
Quote:

Affiliate Stations
Liberty 88.7 FM (Juba)
Liberty 90.0 FM (Yei)
Maridi 89.0 FM (Maridi)
Yambio 90.0 FM (Yambio)
V.O.P 97.0 FM (Juba)
Radio Jonglei 95.9 FM (Bor)
Bentiu FM 99.0/ MW 558 Kilohertz
Radio Malakal FM 105 (Malakal)
Radio Wau MW/AM 271 (Wau)[/url]

And a list of [url=https://www.voanews.com/a/voa-around-the-world/4113370.html]bureaus, reporters, transmitters, affiliates and FM frequencies
Last edited by Rkolsen on 26 March 2018 3:16am
WW
WW Update
In 2002, Germany's international TV service DW-TV took a look back at its first ten years (in English):

Last edited by WW Update on 26 March 2018 6:18pm

Newer posts