The Newsroom

International Weather Coverage

Split from The Weather Thread (May 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
Well if AG is used correctly it is brilliant. The Weather Channel in Atlanta has been using for a few years now in their various studios. And I think its a great way of explaing complex weather, than just the vague weather by certain broadcasters (ie "its going to be blustery windy weather with showery rains"....gonna to need to know more that!)
Tornado
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mclPB06sCYY
Storm Surge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meKVxT5Hc2A

They’ve had some interesting demonstrations. Some are powered by Viz and the others by TWC MAX ecosystem.

One I saw recently was about clearing the snow off the roof of your car. For example if there’s a length of four feet of snow that’s four inches thick it weighs over 100 lbs. And if your driving down the highway and it falls off the car behind it is hit by 10 tons of force.

14 days later

MO
Mouseboy33
I love how OTT Boston's WHDH is. Its the sister station of Miami's WSVN. They have been dealing with horrific Nor'Easters for the last few weeks so they have been pulling out all the stops. The piece of OTT "brilliance" appears
RK
Rkolsen
I love how OTT Boston's WHDH is. Its the sister station of Miami's WSVN. They have been dealing with horrific Nor'Easters for the last few weeks so they have been pulling out all the stops. The piece of OTT "brilliance" appears

See the person in the middle taking a selfie?
MO
Mouseboy33
Well Boston is experiencing its 3rd NorEaster in 1 week. Absolutely increadible. WHDH Boston, the tabloid sister station of infamous WSVN Miami, has been doing extended coverage. They have more time for increased coverage as they are now and unaffiliated independent station. YOu can watch the coverage here and see how they use their NewsPlex studio and video walls. The live pictures of the winter storm are quite incredible. BUt also how local officials are responding to the storm.
https://whdh.com/on-air-live-stream/
QN
Quatorzine Neko
At 1:23 in the video, a weather report on Portuguese news channel RTP Informação (now RTP 3) in 2012 during the Jornal das 14 .

WW
WW Update
A weather forecast from CNN Indonesia:

RK
Rkolsen
I've been surprised that stations or regions in the UK don't run crawls for severe weather during normal programming where it is common place in the US. Here's an example of a fairly advanced ticker that appears at the top of the screen that includes a live radar image, description of the warning and a county by county breakdown of the alert and when it expires. Sometimes an additional line appears when there are multiple warnings for a singular area.

Hopefully this is not taken down. I cropped out most of the video and removed the audio.
DB
dbl
Most people would just switch to Sky News or BBC News for severe weather coverage.
BBI45 and London Lite gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
dbl posted:
Most people would just switch to Sky News or BBC News for severe weather coverage.

And their BBC local radio station in England, which normally provide the best coverage.
HC
Hatton Cross
(as posted above, whilst I was typing this out...)

Yes, but the Met Office issues colour coded weather alerts in advance over here - and it's reported on the main network news (BBC One, ITV, C4, C5, Sky News and BBC News channel - and the last twos own tickers scroll the weather warnings as well), BBC/ITV regional news, and national/local weather forecasts for TV, Radio and On-line, plus retweets via social media all mention it with increasingly manic hysteria - so you've got to have your head in a tub of readymix concrete not to know there's something ominious on the way with the weather.

It's not uncommon for captions about the weather, though.
I can remember seeing a couple of lower thirds from BBC Midlands, appearing over a network programme back in the 1980's during a unusually strong wind and heavy snows. Schools were closed, public transport winding down, and the caption was directing people to their local BBC Local Radio station were the 'snow desks' were all fired up and ready to go with the latest information.

And to be honest, local radio (mainly BBC, but commercial radio - does as well, when it's forecast to be bad) is still the go to place for people to find out where the drifts and road closures are.
Crawlers, tickers and lower/upper thirds would just be repeating information already given out.
WW
WW Update
This is how HR, one of the regional ARD broadcasters in Germany, handles weather warnings. When severe weather threatens the viewing region, a special bug appears on the upper right of the screen; it directs viewers to check a special teletext page (most TV sets in Germany are teletext-compatible) for detailed information:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/az2si/hr-weather_zpst2dabdqm.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/az2si/hr-weather-2a_zpsjsrhuvcn.png
Last edited by WW Update on 21 March 2018 12:56am
sbahnhof 7, Mouseboy33 and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
RK
Rkolsen
This is how HR, one of the regional ARD broadcasters in Germany, handles weather warnings. When severe weather threatens the viewing region, a special bug appears on the upper right of the screen; it directs viewers to check a special teletext page (most TV sets in Germany are teletext-compatible) for detailed information:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/az2si/hr-weather_zpst2dabdqm.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/az2si/hr-weather-2a_zpsjsrhuvcn.png

Stations also do those here as well. They have to legally run a ticker during severe weather warnings.

(as posted above, whilst I was typing this out...)

Yes, but the Met Office issues colour coded weather alerts in advance over here - and it's reported on the main network news (BBC One, ITV, C4, C5, Sky News and BBC News channel - and the last twos own tickers scroll the weather warnings as well), BBC/ITV regional news, and national/local weather forecasts for TV, Radio and On-line, plus retweets via social media all mention it with increasingly manic hysteria - so you've got to have your head in a tub of readymix concrete not to know there's something ominious on the way with the weather.

It's not uncommon for captions about the weather, though.
I can remember seeing a couple of lower thirds from BBC Midlands, appearing over a network programme back in the 1980's during a unusually strong wind and heavy snows. Schools were closed, public transport winding down, and the caption was directing people to their local BBC Local Radio station were the 'snow desks' were all fired up and ready to go with the latest information.

And to be honest, local radio (mainly BBC, but commercial radio - does as well, when it's forecast to be bad) is still the go to place for people to find out where the drifts and road closures are.
Crawlers, tickers and lower/upper thirds would just be repeating information already given out.

The national weather service issues advisories, watches and warnings and stations are to dissseminate the information. If you a radio station covers a large area it may be a while for the inform to get out.

Some stations do things such as “First Alert Weather Days” to warn you in advance that conditions maybe bad. Sometimes first alert are called for days in advanced or the day of.

Broadcast television is our go to to thing here when it comes to weather issues and closing. If it’s bad enough radio will usually simulcast TV. With things like snow there’s still something special to kids (and adults) to see that the school district or offices are closed at the bottom of the screen. Even though there are text message and robocall alerts television is still the most effective way to get the message across the quickly and probably most frequently.

Newer posts