TV Home Forum

Robot Wars axed

(March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
I didn't think it warranted its own thread but apparently Robot Wars just got the chop. Again.
RE
Rex
I didn't think it warranted its own thread but apparently Robot Wars just got the chop. Again.

Apparently the axing of Robot Wars is due to the BBC needing to ‘make room’ for new shows on BBC Two.

Terrible news to hear, especially as a fan of the series - but part of me wouldn’t have been surprised considering that Robot Wars’ third series was pitted against The Blue Planet II on a Sunday night at 8pm. Ratings slaughter in a nutshell.
LL
Larry the Loafer
I got put off the reboot when I noticed the need to dramatise the battles with extreme close ups and the likes. Maybe I was too fond of the original but I really missed the cool industrial theme of the Craig Charles era.
DE88, Rex and bilky asko gave kudos
JO
Jon
Might be something Dave would be interested in. And of course they work with Craig Charles and Dara.
RE
Rex
Jon posted:
Might be something Dave would be interested in. And of course they work with Craig Charles and Dara.

Now that you've said it, sounds like a great idea and would fit right along with the likes of Taskmaster, Red Dwarf, Go 8 Bit and Unspun.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Considering the outpouring of grief, it'd be silly of them not to consider it.
DO
dosxuk
It is a much more expensive endeavour than any of those though.
CW
Charlie Wells Moderator
Archived thread ref: https://www.tvforum.co.uk/tvhome/robot-wars-coming-41330/
Looks like Robot Wars has been axed, though to be honest I didn't realise that there had been a third series.
Quote:
Robot Wars has been axed by the BBC for a second time.
The show featuring duelling robots was rebooted on BBC Two in 2016 and ran for three series.

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-43442628
LL
Larry the Loafer
Already being discussed in the BBC Two thread Wink
VM
VMPhil
The third series was scheduled against Blue Planet II, which may be why you didn’t know about it.
Rex, DE88 and dosxuk gave kudos
JF
JetixFann450
Dave would seriously work as a place to put Robot Wars. Ooh, and some repeats of the older series as well. Wink
RE
Rex
Dave would seriously work as a place to put Robot Wars. Ooh, and some repeats of the older series as well. Wink

Not a chance for Dave to broadcast repeats. Challenge holds the rights to show repeats of Robot Wars.

The third series was scheduled against Blue Planet II, which may be why you didn’t know about it.

I think it would have fared better had it been scheduled an hour earlier on a Sunday - it would have prevented such a clash with what was an eagerly anticipated show in The Blue Planet II.

I only managed to watch the first episode of Robot Wars’ third series, and I found myself not even watching the rest after The Blue Planet II started airing.

Speaks volumes.

Newer posts