TV Home Forum

Sky's Branding

(October 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gordonthegopher
Having just read the BBC News article, it's cited that the Netflix subscription will be paid through the Sky bill. Makes me wonder if you can only assign one account to one Sky Q system. When you consider there's an unlimited amount of devices you can link to your Netflix account (albeit not at the same time, depending on your subscription) I wonder how that will play out.

Well in the past I have had Netflix and paid the bill via BT and it depended on what subscription you selected and then you could watch in SD, HD, 1 Screen, 2 Screens or 4 Screens at the time and that was paid nothing directly to Netflix but paying it all to BTTV and was able to use the Netflix app on my phone and watch via the website on my laptop.
ED
edmund
Sky One has recently launched two new idents. Both are now available to watch on Presentation Archive - link.

Interference:

DJ Scratching:

ST
Stuart
Sky have been displaying some inconsistencies recently with their logo refresh. I spotted this advert for the recently re-badged Sky Bingo on Crime+Investigation yesterday.

I appreciate it's only a subsidiary brand, and not that same as getting the logo wrong for a TV channel promo. But nonetheless, if you're going to change the logo, at least use it on all outlets.

http://i65.tinypic.com/33ndv9j.jpg
HA
harshy Founding member
Didn’t expect to get the logo wrong on the ad there, maybe it was produced before the logo changes.
:-(
A former member
Sky One has recently launched two new idents. Both are now available to watch on Presentation Archive - link.

Interference:

DJ Scratching:

I would Keep a close eye on the channel, there pushing three shows at the moment big time on the promos. One is for that skateboarding show and the other is for Army/ SAS type show.
ED
edmund
They will probably launch some new stings based on the animations featured in this promo.

9 days later

NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
[edited] I seem to have ended up with the (currently undocumented both at SkyEpgInfo and Sky's website) Sky+HD R019 software today (me and a couple of Digital Spy forums posters). R019 makes the Sky Cinema and Sky Store sections become laid out in a similar way to how it looks on Now TV and to a large extent SkyQ, only without any of the animations [edit - there are animations at least in Cinema but suspect the box isn't quite powerful enough to do it smoothly]. I dare say its ultimate aim to try and replicate SkyQ as close as possible so it won't come as a huge shock when people do upgrade.

I mean it's obvious some SkyQ stuff will never make it to Sky+HD, chiefly the ability to record more than two channels, app support, the voice search and the Bluetooth remote (as all these would effectively need new hardware tacking onto the box) and possibly 4k.
Last edited by Neil Jones on 14 March 2018 9:29pm
RD
rdd Founding member
Even Sky Q viewers don’t get 4K unless they take the larger 2TB box. Not that there’s much 4K on anyway.
TO
tomo359
There is actually more 4k stuff than people might realise. A lot of films now are available in 4k as well as lots of Sky's own dramas.
Obviously no channels are broadcasting in 4k yet, so anything you want to watch has to be downloaded, and even though you can start watching downloads before the download has finished, 4k takes a long time to even get to the stage where you can start watching...maybe my broadband isn't as fast as its meant to be but lets just say plan ahead a little if you want to watch 4k!
NG
noggin Founding member

Obviously no channels are broadcasting in 4k yet, so anything you want to watch has to be downloaded, and even though you can start watching downloads before the download has finished, 4k takes a long time to even get to the stage where you can start watching...maybe my broadband isn't as fast as its meant to be but lets just say plan ahead a little if you want to watch 4k!

Eh? Sky are broadcasting 4K content (as well as making stuff available on demand0, however they do this via the Sky Q automatically switching to a 4K DVB-S2 stream when it is available - rather than there being a dedicated 4K version of the channel. This allows them to use one 4K broadcast stream to 'float' a 4K version of a sporting event over HD events on multiple channels as long as they don't clash, and avoids having to run lots of full-time 4K services that are mainly showing HD up converts. (AIUI Sky have 4K F1 for instance)

There are Sky UHD streams at 11758.00 H at 28.2
TO
tomo359

Eh? Sky are broadcasting 4K content (as well as making stuff available on demand0, however they do this via the Sky Q automatically switching to a 4K DVB-S2 stream when it is available - rather than there being a dedicated 4K version of the channel. This allows them to use one 4K broadcast stream to 'float' a 4K version of a sporting event over HD events on multiple channels as long as they don't clash, and avoids having to run lots of full-time 4K services that are mainly showing HD up converts. (AIUI Sky have 4K F1 for instance)

Oh really? Sorry I didn't realise this. I thought it would be like when HD first launched and dedicated channels started appearing. Sorry my bad Embarassed
NG
noggin Founding member

Oh really? Sorry I didn't realise this. I thought it would be like when HD first launched and dedicated channels started appearing. Sorry my bad Embarassed

Yep - it's a bit like how ITV HD first started as a red button service on ITV SD - but across multiple channels.

Newer posts