TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LE
Lester Founding member
I agree the actual street (i.e. the actual terraced houses) is similar but what I was getting at is the amount of shops and services in close proximity, where is the pub on the corner? Where is the newsagent, mechanics, hairdressers, factory, doctors, fast food outlets and posh restaurants?

I don't know if it's just me, but surely it's pretty common to have a hair salon, shops, coffee house and takeaways all on the same street? And I can think of one area near me in particular where those shops are in close proximity to a doctors surgery, several dentists and a small industrial site.

If anything it's a miracle that Greggs hasn't waded in and closed the tram station so they've got a unit next to Costa, and Wetherspoons hasn't snapped up the Rovers.

Oh ok, sounds like I need to move to a back street in Salford then!
RE
Revolution
It's a shame they haven't built a permanent Weatherfield Recorder set, could be a hotbed for stories, and tailor made for someone like Daniel. Heck, even Toyah who would make for a better agony aunt columnist than landlady.
DA
davidhorman
If they were done live, it presumably wouldn't be by getting the prop phone to ring, it would be played in as an effect

I was thinking they'd want to do it live so it sounded realistic - for example in the episode it rang in his pocket, then he brought it out to answer it. But it's probably much easier to add it in post with a filter.

I still remember being impressed by an episode of Eastenders where a plane was heard going overhead (wonder if they still do that, haven't noticed) outside, and could be still be heard when the scene cut to inside. Ironically I was doing a sponsored silence at the time, but forgot, and remarked on it.
AN
Andrew Founding member
It's a shame they haven't built a permanent Weatherfield Recorder set, could be a hotbed for stories, and tailor made for someone like Daniel. Heck, even Toyah who would make for a better agony aunt columnist than landlady.

The Gazette has been unrealistic for years, it’s portrayed as if they employ tabloid style hacks eager for the next scoop. In reality they’d have two reporters based miles away copying and pasting Weatherfield council press releases!
JA
james-2001
It's a shame they haven't built a permanent Weatherfield Recorder set

The Wetherfield Recorder closed down in 1990 Wink
ST
Stuart
Very Happy
It's a shame they haven't built a permanent Weatherfield Recorder set

The Wetherfield Recorder closed down in 1990 Wink

It's the Gazette. Blimey, which paper do yo find on your doormat when you get home? Very Happy
SP
Steve in Pudsey
In reality they’d have two reporters based miles away copying and pasting Weatherfield council press releases!

Council press releases? Luxury. Copying and pasting misinformed comments on village Facebook groups is what counts for original journalism with my local rag Smile
JB
JexedBack
The new set areas look great - in terms of the shows history, I just don’t believe those shops have always been there. Surely someone would have referenced the tram station or other shop around the corner. And a Costa on a back street? Never.
I would have gone for something a bit newer, apartments with a gym, at least it’s more realistic. Victoria Street terraces
demolished for this etc
JA
james-2001
I guess you could argue they've recently refurbished these old railway arches and put shops in them!

Maybe they opened around the time the co-op bags and Costa cups first appeared Wink
TI
tightrope78
Here's a classic clip I thought some would appreciate!

VM
VMPhil
Ouch!
JA
james-2001
Watching episodes from the 60s, 70s and 80s, boom mics seemed to drop into shot a lot. We've even seen it a couple of times on the ITV3 episodes. I guess it didn't help that back then they basically did the whole show "as live" and it was too much effort to start again over such a thing.

Newer posts