« Topics
STV had all its repeats at 5am.
Steve Williams2,673 posts since 1 Aug 2008
Yes, I remember the lunchtime repeats of Corrie and Emmerdale - as 623058 states, they stated in September 1993, replacing the (partial) Corrie omnibus that only Granada kept.

These lunchtime repeats weren’t networked (or may have been part-networked) as regions showed them, along with H&A and various quiz shows, at different times in the early afternoon. It seems ludicrous by today’s standards to think of the variation in the early afternoon schedule across the regions, despite the fact they were showing the same episodes of the programmes.

I think this went on until about 96/97? I know the Sunday omnibus was back in some, or all, regions by the late 90s - by then there were 4 episodes a week so I think there were still some weekday repeats too.

Yes, the Corrie repeats were networked but the various regions showed them where they saw fit in the early afternoon - some at one o'clock, some at 1.30. Granada initially dropped the omnibus and showed them as well, but gave them up quite soon after to bring the omnibus back. As before, this only included the Wednesday and Friday episodes, so for quite a while Granada were the only region not repeating the Monday episode at all. The omnibus was in a very prominent slot, mind, for a while it was at 6.30 - opting out of the network showings of things like Dr Quinn Medicine Woman - and I remember it only stopped in this form when the Sunday episode began in November 1996.

This was also the same time Granada were opting out of the daytime screenings of Families and only showing it in omnibus form on Thursday nights. They had some funny ideas.

I know the daytime repeats were still going on at the end of 1995 because on Christmas Day 1995, a Monday, I remember all the regions were showing the previous Friday's Corrie at lunchtime apart from Granada who had to opt-out. I think Granada started showing the daytime repeats when the Sunday one began, but when they were dropped, I think they started the omnibus again, this time showing all the episodes. Certainly in the 1999 Christmas Radio Times, Granada opted out of a networked film to show a Corrie omnibus that, because it included the Christmas Day episodes, took up virtually the whole afternoon.
nwtv2003 and Si-Co gave kudos
I do remember seeing Families being moved to 17.10 on granada during 93 period so there really did like moving things around.
Steve Williams2,673 posts since 1 Aug 2008
I do remember seeing Families being moved to 17.10 on granada during 93 period so there really did like moving things around.

This came about during the period in 1992 when they moved Home and Away to 5.10 and showed all kinds of rubbish at six, including repeats of Stars In Their Eyes and, yes, Families, shown again in two half hour episodes. But after a few months it was back to 10.40, and Home and Away moved back to six.
Ben Shatliff1,021 posts since 30 Aug 2003
Granada North West Today

This came about during the period in 1992 when they moved Home and Away to 5.10 and showed all kinds of rubbish at six, including repeats of Stars In Their Eyes and, yes, Families, shown again in two half hour episodes. But after a few months it was back to 10.40, and Home and Away moved back to six.

Granada has a new-look in April 1992 which included a variant on the logo as well as a new-look news. In the same day Families was moved to 6PM and also had new opening titles.

It’s a shame it wasn’t given a peak time slot throughout its run as well as the Thursday Omnibus as more people would have watched it.
www.benjaminfshatliff.com

Ben Shatliff Online - There to help you
mannewskev500 posts since 2 Sep 2011

One of those 6pm shows was a docusoap set in a north west school, which I quite enjoyed. Similar to C4's "Educating..." series.
Jez10,798 posts since 7 May 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
Im not sure if the Corrie/Emmerdale 1993 repeats were officially networked but most regions seemed to show them immediately after the lunchtime news at about 12.55pm. Then most regions showed Home and Away at 1.25pm and then A Country Practice (or another aussie soap) at 1.55pm. I think most regions preferred to do their own thing in the afternoon and early evening, the same episode of Home and Away was shown in all regions but at different times 5.10pm/6pm/6.30pm. Whilst other soaps like A Country Practice and The Young Doctors could be in the same time slot but 100s of episodes apart.

I remember in the late 90s and as late as 2001/2002 the Granada owned regions (Granada, Yorkshire etc) showed Corrie repeats in the afternoon.
Stv didn't then, since ealry 1993 there lunchtime scotland today at 12.55 blockbusters at 1.25 and h&w at 1.55. Then at 2.20 it was anything else.

So did anyone else break ranks? I'm sure West country and no room either.