TV Home Forum

Inconsistencies with re-branding?

(August 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TM
ToasterMan
First post in over 4 months..

Does anyone know if this particular TVS endboard of the 1987 version of the CGI Flower ident with the 1989 ITV logo underneath used at all?
http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/GwgzqmqfK_wjiPbIxsDrXw13818/GW189H143

I ask this because TVS introduced the 2nd (darker) variant on September 1st, 1989, (the same day the shortly aborted ITV generic look was introduced) and looking at TVS programmes from late 1989-1992, they used this version after the sleeker logo was introduced;
http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/UE3CuyIaY8RmwSxDl3oq9Q12787/GW190H143]

It makes me wonder if part of the reason TVS rejected the generic look was because it used the older logo, when they were planning to launch the redone ident on the same day the new ITV logo was due to launch and they didn't have enough time to update their version of the ident with the new logo.

Also, does anyone know why it appears that Thames continued to use their 1969 logo at the start of their programmes even after both their 21st anniversary and the new ITV logo rolled after 1989? Case in point, 'Rainbow', 'Danger Mouse' and 'Count Duckula' also still used the classic logo well into 1990! (Though I aware it was removed and got replaced with the endboard with the 1990 logo when they were broadcast on CITV, so maybe they put them in at the last minute?)

Last edited by ToasterMan on 10 March 2018 8:44pm - 4 times in total
JA
JAS84
They probably rejected the generic because the flower symbol was completely missing from it - the V shape was based on the 3D contours of the letter S instead.
IS
Inspector Sands

Also, does anyone know why Thames continued to use their 1969 logo at the start of their programmes even after both their 21st anniversary and the new ITV logo rolled after 1989? Case in point, 'Rainbow', 'Danger Mouse' and 'Count Duckula' also still used the classic logo well into 1990!

Surely by that point they'd stopped having the production company logo at the beginning of ITV programmes?

If there were old logos on those programmes it is probably because they were made before the new logo had been confirmed. Bear in mind that Thames had 3 different logos in 18 months so I can understand there might have been some confusion or hedging of bets
LL
Larry the Loafer
I think they're referring to the endboard, particularly on the Rainbow episode.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Those clips are probably international edits.
TM
ToasterMan

Also, does anyone know why Thames continued to use their 1969 logo at the start of their programmes even after both their 21st anniversary and the new ITV logo rolled after 1989? Case in point, 'Rainbow', 'Danger Mouse' and 'Count Duckula' also still used the classic logo well into 1990!

Surely by that point they'd stopped having the production company logo at the beginning of ITV programmes?

If there were old logos on those programmes it is probably because they were made before the new logo had been confirmed. Bear in mind that Thames had 3 different logos in 18 months so I can understand there might have been some confusion or hedging of bets

Hence why I said; "I'm aware the 69 Thames logo got edited out when they were first broadcast on CITV".

Did Fremantle Media add the Thames logo in on the DVD releases of all three shows, or was it already on the original masters to begin with?
IS
Inspector Sands
But you also said:
'Also, does anyone know why Thames continued to use their 1969 logo at the start of their programmes'
Hence you can see the confusion

As I say maybe they were first shown then but made earlier, before the new logos were finalised?
TM
ToasterMan
But you also said:
'Also, does anyone know why Thames continued to use their 1969 logo at the start of their programmes'
Hence you can see the confusion

Sorry about that, I've edited my post since you brought that up.
TV
The TV-Fan
LWT kept their 1989 endboards even after the 1986-1992 ident was replaced by the 1992-1996 LWT ident, where they can be seen at the end of original 1993-1996 airings/early DVD releases of season 5 and 6 of Poirot and mid 1996-1998 during the 1996 LWT idents era.
BR
Brekkie
From the Carol Barnes thread I think this sums up inconsistency

DE
DE88
LWT kept their 1989 endboards even after the 1986-1992 ident was replaced by the 1992-1996 LWT ident.

They also kept their 1996 endboard after the respective introductions of the 1999 generic ident and the video wall ident - only dropping it in late 2001 when all the GMG-owned stations received purple endboards.

Those endboards bore only a slight resemblance to the 1999 generic idents, and no resemblance whatsoever to *any* aspect of the look introduced on ITV1 in October 2002, let alone the celeb idents. The Granada endboards introduced in November 2004 also looked nothing like ITV1 at the time...
ToasterMan and The TV-Fan gave kudos
HA
harshy Founding member

I can see why this endboard was never used by TVS, the one they actually used was way superior.

Newer posts