The Newsroom

BBC Weather changes preview

Website displaying pages with Meteo data on adapted URL (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RK
Rkolsen
Worth noting that a similar product used by stations in the US the MAX Ecosystem sometimes requires new templates to be loaded remotely by them as part of the service. Some stations then have additional templates/slides/graphics whatever you want to call them that need to be updated manually. Unfortunately it isn’t something as easy as replacing a graphic or font with one of the same name on the computer.
IS
Inspector Sands
And of course unlike a US station, the BBC has lots of copies of the system running all over the country
RK
Rkolsen
And of course unlike a US station, the BBC has lots of copies of the system running all over the country

No but some station groups have over 100 news producing stations all using the same vendor with the same graphics packages all with multiple workstations.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 7 March 2018 4:20am
CR
Critique
The quality of the green screen on the national bulletins has definitely taken a dive - every presenter has a white halo around them, no matter how dark or light the background is. I can't imagine changing providers involved changing how they do the green screen so a bit strange that it's happened the same time as the move to MeteoGroup!
DO
dosxuk
I've seen national forecasts where the camera is blatantly out of focus a couple of times recently, which results in a white halo.
RK
Rkolsen
The quality of the green screen on the national bulletins has definitely taken a dive - every presenter has a white halo around them, no matter how dark or light the background is. I can't imagine changing providers involved changing how they do the green screen so a bit strange that it's happened the same time as the move to MeteoGroup!

Some weather boxes may have some sort of “magic tracking” where the meteorologists hand can telestrate or do other features that would normally require a computer. In the US to enable these features the box takes a camera output and does the chroma keying themselves. It could be a setting if it’s set up for those features.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
MarkT76, Ittr and Juicy Joe gave kudos
:-(
A former member
A lot of consideration has probably been given to all of these points, with the conclusion being that they are fine as they are. Seriously, it’s so easy to read now.
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
A lot of consideration has probably been given to all of these points, with the conclusion being that they are fine as they are. Seriously, it’s so easy to read now.

Really? Shocked
London Lite, Ittr and bilky asko gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands

Consideration needs to be given to the size of the UK on screen. We are not all sitting in front of 50" screens.

They did that last time when they tilted the country to make it fit on the screen better and look how that went down...
TM
tmorgan96
I think most of the complaints in this thread could be resolved by a trip to Specsavers. Seriously guys, everything is pretty clear on my end.
NE
neonemesis
...Just wow.

Newer posts