International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WW
WW Update
Prva TV, Serbia; morning news, 2018:

RK
Rkolsen
I probably asked this before but I’m trying to think of a newscast where the set was simply a circular anchor desk with a row of flat panels mounted vertically. The set either had a wall or virtual extension with a long hole the height of the vertical monitors that continued around the set.

Edit : Found it. I was thinking of VRT. Ironically found it during a Ross Video (the company that make Furios) case study unrelated to my search.

Last edited by Rkolsen on 7 March 2018 6:18pm
UK
uktvwatcher
Pryamij (Ukraine), Itogi dnya, 2018:

Notice that this programme uses two languages, Russian and Ukrainian. Also the graphics are similar to those from Russia.
AB
ABC Australia
TVSA; local news for Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina, 2018:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vg2_geuCqU

Another graphics package from the talented creators that use VideoHive
WW
WW Update
A historical compilation of news intros used by N24 / Welt from 2000 to the present:

WW
WW Update
A report from Tagesschau about ARD's Mittagsmagazin (Midday Magazine) moving from BR in Munich to RBB in Berlin, with a preview of the new look:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6TH7SOW40Q

The final Munich edition of Mittgsmagazin, with a look back at the program's history (beginning at 1:00):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju5VCoeNkYY

As a reminder, here's a map of ARD-member broadcasters:

By Daisy0705, Dagobert50gold, StG1990, Martin Kraft, Radiohörer, - This file was derived from:Carte stations ARD.png:SWR Dachmarke.svg:map: Karte_Bundesrepublik_Deutschland.svglogos: ARD-design.de, Public Domain

Here's a short video showing how the ARD regions have changed since 1949:

sbahnhof 7 and ADmanamDA gave kudos
WW
WW Update
A compilation of news intros from Puls4 in Austria since 2008 (including their Australian Broadcasting Corporation-lookalike intro):

AB
ABC Australia
haha, i remember Puls4's 'take' on that ABC News look.
EL
elmarko
That logo reminds me of a US affiliate
RK
Rkolsen
That logo reminds me of a US affiliate

Yup, KFOR in Oklahoma.

GL
globaltraffic24
A little late with this one, but it's only just been uploaded to YouTube. SVT relaunched its long running breakfast show late last year. Go'morgon Sverige was replaced with SVT Morgonstudion. 'Go'morgon' had a very gentile, slow pace - a little like BBC Breakfast, while 'Morgonstudion' is more contemporary. The set is within the newsroom and this is also now used for breaking news updates throughout the day on SVTPlay.se. (also on STV1 and 2 if it's a major developing story). As part of the relaunch, the local news has also changed. Instead of the traditional presenter-led local bulletins, the news updates are voiceover with pictures and a menu screen on the left. I can't decide if I like that or not, but it does cut costs down for SVT. The local newscast format may change again in the future as a major public consultation is underway into the future of local news on SVT. It's unlikely to result in the end of local news (this happened a couple of years ago on TV4) but a big shake-up may occur.

Open/Close

Local news (SVT West)
NG
noggin Founding member
Go'morgon was gentle and a bit too 'daytime' - but Morgonstudion had a very wobbly start. They spent far too long chatting to each other and didn't do anywhere near enough news coverage. The first week they spent far too much time talking about the new show rather than actually getting on with the news. It feels like they are spreading a little content a very long way...

Andre Pops - who was the main SVT Sport presenter - was bought in to present, but I can't see him staying long.

SVT Nyheter doesn't have a 24 hour news channel - and often struggles to deliver decent breaking news coverage. Morgonstudion doesn't seem to have changed this much. (TV4 had a news channel for a while, and seems to do breaking news better than SVT still., but I think SVT is very low staffed)

NRK tried to reduce their local news recently. It went from 20 minutes to 15 minutes without much comment, but then it was announced it was going to be 5 minutes (with regional news stories carried more on the network bulletins)

Caused such a kerfuffle that they had to re-think and retain longer regional bulletins.

SVT have a LOT of regional news regions - they effectively tripled the number by pre-recording multiple bulletins in each regional centre rather than having fewer, with live presentation.

Newer posts