TV Home Forum

FTA TV in the UK- a lot to offer

(March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
Yes, though in some dependencies BFBS provides UK domestic services for the military and their families, but also the wider local population sometimes. According to Wikipedia in The Falkland Islands:
Quote:

Five channels are provided by BFBS: BBC One, BBC Two, ITV BFBS Extra and Sky News for non-military. Entitled personnel within British Forces South Atlantic can also receive Sky Sports 1, Sky Sports 2 and BFBS Sport.
RK
Rkolsen
Oh to have access to some semi decent programming for free.
NG
noggin Founding member
Oh to have access to some semi decent programming for free.

It's not free though.

Most countries in Europe have a TV or Media Licence Fee (or a household broadcasting fee) - and the UK's is far from the highest. Switzerland's fee is ~£350/year, Sweden is ~£200, Norway ~£250 etc. However every household with a TV or with anyone who watches TV on a tablet/smartphone/computer (or in some cases every household irrespective of their TV viewing) has to pay. As this is a mandatory payment, and not tied directly as a TV subscription, it does feel as if FTA OTA TV is 'free', just as we forget that commercial FTA channels are paid for by us, as consumers, every time we purchase a product that has been advertised...

France has a lower TV Licence fee for the overseas departments, presumably because they receive fewer channels (even though the channels they receive are the main ones funded by the fee)

In some countries the only FTA channels are those funded by the licence fee. In others there are lots of commercial FTA channels too. The UK has one of the strongest FTA OTA platforms though, and unlike other countries OTA pay-TV hasn't ever really taken off here.
Last edited by noggin on 6 March 2018 9:07am - 3 times in total
JA
james-2001
Tell that to the moaners on Digitalspy who act as if the UK is the only country with a TV licence and it's extortionately expensive.
KU
Kunst
Tell that to the moaners on Digitalspy who act as if the UK is the only country with a TV licence and it's extortionately expensive.

Moaners gonna moan
TI
TIGHazard

Isn't the licence fee low in comparison to the 60's and 70's?

£150 (or it will be next month)

£11 for a colour licence in 1969. Putting that into the BoE inflation calculator you would pay the equivalent of £172 (as of last year).

And what did you get for that back then? 2 channels, 4 national radio stations and if you're lucky a regional radio station.
Stuart, alexhb01 and Neil__ gave kudos
JA
james-2001
It's a national pastime to moan about the licence fee on DS. They're getting orgasmically excited that the Swiss are considering a referendum on scrapping theirs as well.
MA
Markymark
It's a national pastime to moan about the licence fee on DS. They're getting orgasmically excited that the Swiss are considering a referendum on scrapping theirs as well.

Err, the Swiss have had the referendum already, it was on Sunday, and the result was 71% in favour of retianing their licence fee

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43278646
JA
james-2001
I didn't know exactly when it was, I didn't read any of the threads, I just noticed they'd started several on the subject. That result will have disapointed them.
MA
Markymark
I didn't know exactly when it was, I didn't read any of the threads, I just noticed they'd started several on the subject. That result will have disapointed them.

They were obviously too busy ranting in threads to notice it had happened!

Newer posts