The Gallery

BBC One Holding/Programme slides

in the style of the BBC YouTube thumbnails (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I noticed that the BBC YouTube channel is using this style of thumbnail image on a lot of the videos posted recently

So I thought I'd update the mock which I posted last year with another what if - what if that design was used for programme holding slides?

This time I went a bit further with the code and used the GD library in PHP to produce the slides as 1920x1080px jpgs rather than assembling it in the browser using CSS.

I switched out the right border at the right hand edge to black as I think that will look better on screen. Moving the logo box to the bottom means it is less likely to obscure faces in the photos.

The font choice is not ideal, but as I obviously don't have access to Reith or the BBC One font, I figured I would stay retro.
JO
Joe
Some decent work here. I can imagine it looking better with the correct font.

Unfortunately, the circle device is perhaps outdated now.
EL
elmarko
I love it, and the scripty-ness of it is great once again. I'm not sure I like that black bar though! I'd set the BBC logo in on the frame instead, but that's me Smile
JO
Josh
I love it, and the scripty-ness of it is great once again. I'm not sure I like that black bar though! I'd set the BBC logo in on the frame instead, but that's me Smile

The black bar is meant to be removed so it gives the illusion of the logo coming out the frame.
elmarko and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Exactly that. If you look at the original YouTube version at the top of the page it's in white to blend in with the page. I changed it to black to blend in with the surrounds of most TV sets.
SP
Spencer
I like the idea of the logo folding around the picture, but it needs moving away from the edge of the screen and adhering to safe areas or it'll get cut off on many TVs.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Good point about safe areas.

Thanks also to several people who have sent me PMs about obtaining certain things.
EL
elmarko
Ahhhh I understand now re the bar

Newer posts