« Topics
BillyH1,279 posts since 4 Jan 2003
London London
I've heard conflicting reports about the biggest ever audience - it's either Xmas 1987 or one of the Rita/Alan episodes two years later.

Looking at the weather outside currently they've timed these Christmas repeats unintentionally brilliantly.
Member since 26 May 2001
DE88, Rory and Ben Shatliff gave kudos
james-20013,411 posts since 13 Sep 2015
Central (East) East Midlands Today
Looks like we got the Granada Plus edit of the Xmas day 1987 edition sadly. The original is on the Network DVDs. Whereas ITV3 have so far shown the originals of every episode where the G+ edit made the DVDs.

I find myself wishing they'd destroyed the G+ edits when the channel closed down so they didn't turn up anywhere else!
Last edited by james-2001 on 28 February 2018 5:41pm

DE88508 posts since 8 Jan 2017
UTV Newsline
And on the second anniversary of Tony Warren's death, too.

Unless I'm mistaken, the next milestone is the 10,000th episode in early 2020. What odds would the bookies offer on this episode being live, I wonder...? Wink
"Channel 5! The channel that brings you England goals!" -- Jonathan Pearce, 31 May 1997
Into 1988 on ITV3 today. ITV stopped using frontcaps at the start of 1988, but they're clearly still on the master tapes and ITV3 are leaving it in (the Network DVD has them on all the 1988 episodes too, but it's gone by the 1989 episodes)- though they've switched from it being on film to an electronically generated one.

Presumably most regions didn't cut it up until the frontcap had gone, and they weren't the only ones still attaching frontcaps as I know that Yorkshire were still doing it into 1989 at least, as they're on the DVDs of The New Statesman and Home To Roost's 1989 series. Possibly other regions too were still frontcapping their shows beyond 1988.
Last edited by james-2001 on 2 March 2018 5:04pm
DE88 and Si-Co gave kudos
Si-Co1,836 posts since 2 Oct 2003
Tyne Tees Look North (North East)
Yes, Yorkshire were one of the regions who continued to put a frontcap on their shows after 1988, and continued to show the frontcaps of other regions, such as Granada, if they were present on the tapes. I assume YTV weren’t too happy about the IBA’s decision to discontinue them, having spent millions the previous year on their new Liquid Gold ident package.

Evidently the local stations were under no obligation to stop using or showing frontcaps at this stage. I’m not sure whether Granada viewers saw the frontcaps at the start of Corrie, despite them being present on the tapes.

I imagine that whether or not a frontcap was present, and its duration, must have been communicated to the local stations, so they knew exactly when to join a networked show. Being in the dark about this, and joining the programmes “off the cuff” would have surely led to more presentation cock-ups than we witnessed in 1988.
THE NEXT POST FOLLOWS SHORTLY...
DE88 gave kudos
DE88508 posts since 8 Jan 2017
UTV Newsline
Yes, Yorkshire were one of the regions who continued to put a frontcap on their shows after 1988, and continued to show the frontcaps of other regions, such as Granada, if they were present on the tapes. I assume YTV weren’t too happy about the IBA’s decision to discontinue them, having spent millions the previous year on their new Liquid Gold ident package.

Yet they took the ITV generic look the following year. And they weren't under any obligation to do that either, even if they felt they were.
"Channel 5! The channel that brings you England goals!" -- Jonathan Pearce, 31 May 1997
Evidently the local stations were under no obligation to stop using or showing frontcaps at this stage. I’m not sure whether Granada viewers saw the frontcaps at the start of Corrie, despite them being present on the tapes.

On today's ITV3 episode (and the first episode on the 1988 DVD, which is from March), the theme music still starts under the frontcap, so I wonder exactly how the regions handled it- did they show the frontcap, or hold their own ident over the start of the music? Looks like a few months into 1988 they re-edited it so the music didn't begin until after the frontcap had gone.

I wonder exactly when the endcaps stopped, it's on all the DVD's 1988 episodes (bar the one that's from a G+ copy)- it's not on any of the 1989 episodes, but the earliest one on the disc is from February, so it might still have been there at the start of the year. Maybe the ITV3 repeats will tell answer that question, but maybe they'll stop showing the frontcap once we get to the point they re-edited where the theme music kicks in, as ITV3 never usually leave them in (possibly they've only been leaving them in on Corrie due to the theme music- whereas G+ used a re-edit of the title sequence where the music usually faded awkwardly into the episode).
Last edited by james-2001 on 2 March 2018 7:45pm - 2 times in total
Si-Co and DE88 gave kudos
JAS843,442 posts since 26 Aug 2010
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)

Yet they took the ITV generic look the following year. And they weren't under any obligation to do that either, even if they felt they were.

Liquid Gold had already been dumped a few months previously for a 21st anniversary ident.