TV Home Forum

BBC iPlayer - Extended Availability Consultation

Redesigned service to launch in 2020. (March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DV
DVB Cornwall
Interesting to note that this is available on the BBC iPlayer complete tonight. Moreso that it appears to be available 'indefinitely' too, being noted as more than twelve months which for a current series, transmitted on a broadcast channel, is new.

(Non BBC Three series)
Last edited by DVB Cornwall on 7 October 2019 4:35pm - 6 times in total
BE
benriggers
I wonder if this is also because the original series (Civilisation) is also being available indefinitely as well? i.e. linking the two series together?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/group/p050q44y
Last edited by benriggers on 1 March 2018 11:13pm
MO
Moz
Also using the old BBC TWO logo on the email promoting it...

DV
DVB Cornwall
I was aware of that, it might be relevant but I've not seen any derivations for the iPlayer licence asked for for this offering. Ofcom's rules are mysterious but I thought that a derivation would need to be asked for. Anyway it's a welcome move to see.

178 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Another New programme with extended iPlayer availability.

Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema has been given an eleven month window.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Its probably an extension of the existing policy for current affairs - Question Time, Panorama and PMQs are already up on the iPlayer for a year after airing for example. Some of the BBC Four Collections (which includes Civilisation) still lists available for over a year.

Mind you there was a time where a series would get stacked and the entire lot would just expire 30 days after the last episode had aired, so you'd be able to catch up with a show there and then if you came in at episode 10. This was sadly changed to mirror the other services.

14 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
... and another Prof Michael Scott's Invisible Ancient Cities has a six month window. (and also extraordinarily is available complete - ie episodes 2 and 3 on iTunes to buy pre transmission)
LL
London Lite Founding member
Louis Theroux's back catalogue with the exception of the Savile episode are also up for 5 months.
KE
kernow
According to Sky on demand, Civilisations is available until October 2019, and Civilisation is available until April 2022.

When a programme on iPlayer says "available for over a year", it always gives a date on Sky, so are never actually available indefinitely. The longest date I've ever seen recently is 2038.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
When a programme on iPlayer says "available for over a year", it always gives a date on Sky, so are never actually available indefinitely. The longest date I've ever seen recently is 2038.

There's a technical reason for that, the basic principle is explained here, though this is talking about 64-bit iPhones, the same concept of numbers wrapping round still applies:

In other words, this GIF from Wiki shows what will happen in 2038 as far as Sky and other boxes are concerned:

And for completeness, here's a BBC.com article on it and other number issues.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20150505-the-numbers-that-lead-to-disaster
KELGE, DE88 and Stuart gave kudos
DV
DVB Cornwall
Louis Theroux's back catalogue with the exception of the Savile episode are also up for 5 months.

Agreed, but that's archive material, not a brand new series. Archive has since introduction on the player. been offered with extended availability. These new selective programme extensions are (with the BBC Three override) a new feature from early this year.

120 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
The BBC's full iPlayer expansion proposals have been put out to consultation. At least 12 months of content in most genres will be offered if approved. Further enhancements to include more box sets and significantly greater archive content have also been proposed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/aboutthebbc/insidethebbc/howwework/accountability/consultations/bbc-iplayer-public-interest

Newer posts