The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
14:9 TVs weren't sold, but several years ago I think Tesco were passing off 16:10 computer monitors as small TVs, which is a similar aspect ratio to 14:9. At least, I think it was a Technika badged one (a Tesco brand) I came across when I stayed at a cottage in 2011 that had one. I don't know if it had a TV tuner as this was a part of the country where a dish was necessary, so the TV signal was through a Freesat box.

Ha ! Funny you say that, staying in a B&B right now, and look at the telly !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8itr9bxq2h9vvv/2018-02-24%2016.25.27.jpg?dl=0

(Deliberately used the flash, to see screen, bezel and black bars.)

Flattered by the effort you've gone to just to illustrate my post, and at such short notice Wink

But seriously, what a spooky coincidence. Maybe they were flogged off to the hospitality industry at the same time?

Confirmation that it has a Freeview tuner though (and DVD!)
MA
Markymark
[quote:0967550049="VMPhil" pid="1101831"]
Flattered by the effort you've gone to just to illustrate my post, and at such short notice Wink

But seriously, what a spooky coincidence. Maybe they were flogged off to the hospitality industry at the same time?

Confirmation that it has a Freeview tuner though (and DVD!) [/quote]

Yes, it's certainly not the first one I've encountered in a B&B !! We're in an area served by a small relay, so only the two DVB-T1 PSB muxes available, and no channels showing anything in 4:3 at present, so I can't illustrate how it copes with that.

Edit: Frasier on C4 to the rescue, full height pillarbox (12P16)
Last edited by Markymark on 25 February 2018 9:10am
RH
richard h
I'm still not a fan of this new automation. it just doesn't look as good as it did when it was getting controlled by people

Still the wrong graphics appear often, You get a strap animate on then go straight off to then come back on again. when transitioning from a standard strap to a name one it often animates off to reload the name strap then that goes off and the standard one comes back on it all just look a bit messy. I've also noticed when they have the 3 block graphics the middle block starts to wipe on and then the rest of it just appears. The whole presentation just isn't as slick as it used to be.

Minor as it is so many weeks on they have still not sorted the visible top and bottom of the weather blocks when the breaking ticker is over the top of them
MA
mapperuo
Presumably they have just been focusing on the major bugs. Things like the white line around the live bug key is still there, only noticeable on darker OB pictures.
RH
richard h
Its been quite fascinating (not really) watching the constantly changing cards they hold on sunrise
Initially it was a red and white card with the sky news logo on
Then it became a white card with a large sky news logo on
yesterday Sarah had a white card with a smaller sky news logo on whilst Jacquie had the bigger logo on her cards
Today Sarah is back to the bigger logo whilst Jacquie has the smaller

This is a light hearted post don't take it seriously
Last edited by richard h on 28 February 2018 6:20am
JW
JamesWorldNews
Higher or lower?

You don't get nothing for a pair. Not in this game.
RH
richard h
sky news has won the RTS News channel of the year award

edit: they are running a promo for news channel of the year already in the 11pm hour

They have also won the breaking news award for the Manchester arena attack
Last edited by richard h on 28 February 2018 11:24pm
MO
Mouseboy33
Hope the award came with a free espresso for viewers. Even more sleepy since the move. Such a different channel from years past. Especially seeing as they've won the RTS award in the past during more livelier formats.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'm sure the award is for their continual excellent journalism, not if the bulletin comes from an aircraft hanger or a glass box.
MD
mdtauk
I'm sure the award is for their continual excellent journalism, not if the bulletin comes from an aircraft hanger or a glass box.

TV Forum is where we come to talk about the presentation, over the content...
LL
London Lite Founding member

TV Forum is where we come to talk about the presentation, over the content...

Yes, but it doesn't have any relevance to the award.
Brekkie, Joe and Ratflump gave kudos
MD
mdtauk
Yes, but it doesn't have any relevance to the award.

Maybe not, but I think it is a fair comment that the show has lost some energy that it once had - whether it makes their award more or less deserved.

Newer posts