TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BL
bluecortina
nigel posted:
Blind date? Beadle's About ? Alright on the night? Dame Edna? On the buses? Upstairs downstairs? game for a laugh? Saturday night takeaway? Barrymore? Play Your Cards Right? Surprise Surprise? Russell Harty? Alot of stuff was made by LWT..... South bank show? Porit?

That’s a list of programs that could have been made from anywhere... the building it’s self if unremarkable and lacklustre .
Hardly TVC in the iconic stakes.

I think many of the staff that work(ed) there would hotly dispute that. But I accept beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
FA
fanoftv
As what seems to have become an annual tradition Eamonn & Ruth ventured out of the This Morning studio to see Ant & Dec in Studio 1 ahead of the new series of Saturday Night Takeaway.

Dec mentions the closing of the studios in the interview:

What you don't see in this clip is that prior to Studio 1, they stood outside Studio 3 to link up with the Loose Women before showing a small snippet outside of Studio 1 before entry.

Eamonn said later in the programme that they'll head down to Ant & Dec again same time next year, but unless Ant & Dec do their programme from TC1 it won't be possible to be there in person.
WH
Whataday Founding member
It's around the 4:30 mark, should anyone want to skip the waffle.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Surely they'll have to shoot a new set of titles next year too. Or at the very least, add a new closing shot when they run into the studios.
KE
kernow
As I said earlier in the thread there was planned to be an Ant and Dec fronted retrospective, though I haven’t heard anything about it for a few months now so unsure if it’s going ahead.

Maybe it will be shown as a segment in Saturday Night Takeaway?
AS
Asa Admin
Whenever I see them being interviewed they - particularly Dec - always seem very proud of being involved in Saturday night TV. It’s great to see that genuine enthusiasm for what is still a big night in the TV calendar.

I really hope ITV do a proper programme. Although the building may not be that iconic compared with TVC (unless you’re maybe a London viewer from the 70s), the sheer number of recognisable programmes means there’s surely some scope for good interviews.

Right, I’m off to try and get a ticket for 31st March Very Happy
HA
harshy Founding member
In the 80s and 90s you could always tell when a programme was made in those studios, the likes of Blind Date and Beadle's About had a certain look to them.

There was always something magical about visiting TVC but I found as an audience member the South Bank was a bit more exciting - you saw more behind the scenes as you walked to and from the studio, past lots of sets in storage and that sort of thing.

Yes the audience clapping had a certain sound, and the cameras and the lighting always told me this is a LWT Production.
MA
Markymark
In the 80s and 90s you could always tell when a programme was made in those studios, the likes of Blind Date and Beadle's About had a certain look to them.

There was always something magical about visiting TVC but I found as an audience member the South Bank was a bit more exciting - you saw more behind the scenes as you walked to and from the studio, past lots of sets in storage and that sort of thing.

Yes the audience clapping had a certain sound, and the cameras and the lighting always told me this is a LWT Production.

Yes, ( and I’m sure Mr bluecortina of this parish will jump in) but Southern TV would also slowly fade out the applause from the ad break caption and right into the last frame of Southern’s break bumper animation, I got the impression the pres desk operator treated it as a form of sport !?
RT
Run_Telecine
Speaking of TLS pictures, you can see just how red they make the skintones look on this DVE inset box on Takeaway. Screenshot (can't post an inline image for some reason, so a Dropbox link:). https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukcu6yq6viyf6po/Screen.png?dl=0 Probably a matter of taste, as it's the 'look' the LD will want, but it hurts my eyes. Ditto 'The Last Leg' pics.
NG
noggin Founding member
Speaking of TLS pictures, you can see just how red they make the skintones look on this DVE inset box on Takeaway. Screenshot (can't post an inline image for some reason, so a Dropbox link:). https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukcu6yq6viyf6po/Screen.png?dl=0 Probably a matter of taste, as it's the 'look' the LD will want, but it hurts my eyes. Ditto 'The Last Leg' pics.

The full-frame picture is horribly cold and flat though... LE pictures should always be warm and inviting, not cold and clinical IMHO.
EL
elmarko
Is that why on WILTY David Mitchell looks pinky red? I hate it.
MD
mdtauk
I am off this evening (27th Feb) to watch a recording of Qi. It is at The London Studios, so this will most likely be my last time there before it is re-developed. I've been to about 4-5 shows there, but it never felt as exciting as the two times I want to see filming at TVC.

Newer posts