TV Home Forum

TVAM: would have been 35th birthday today.

PLUS the all new and improved TVAM website (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
What is a splat?

Audio and/or video disturbance.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
What is a splat?

Good example here from 32 seconds in:

Courtesy of https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1013243#post-1013243 - "Most "horrendous" picture jumps which we see now on YouTube transfers of recordings actually are as a result of domestic VCRs not coping terribly well with sync changes. If you were watching a live TV set, you'd have seen and possibly heard a very slight blip and nothing more. They were pretty good at coping with sync changes. VCRs weren't. Also professional VTRs couldn't cope either, so off air recordings of some Election programmes (which often crop up on BBC Parliament) contain quite appalling picture jumps when they cut to and from OBs. Watching at home, you wouldn't have noticed these non sync cuts. Watching now, you'd be forgiven for assuming the technical quality of tv from the 70s and 80s was far lower than it actually was. "
MA
Markymark
What is a splat?

Good example here from 32 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFsB4nYTQM

Courtesy of https://tvforum.uk/forums/post1013243#post-1013243 - "Most "horrendous" picture jumps which we see now on YouTube transfers of recordings actually are as a result of domestic VCRs not coping terribly well with sync changes. If you were watching a live TV set, you'd have seen and possibly heard a very slight blip and nothing more. They were pretty good at coping with sync changes. VCRs weren't. Also professional VTRs couldn't cope either, so off air recordings of some Election programmes (which often crop up on BBC Parliament) contain quite appalling picture jumps when they cut to and from OBs. Watching at home, you wouldn't have noticed these non sync cuts. Watching now, you'd be forgiven for assuming the technical quality of tv from the 70s and 80s was far lower than it actually was. "

In short, with a VTR of any type, you are dealing with real mechanical inertia for the servos to get back into step. With a TV set it ( with CRTs) was down to the ability of the scanning circuits to jump to a different stage of sync pulses, so far quicker because you’re only dealing with making an election beam jump to a different bit of the screen, and electrons don’t have a great deal of mass ! So only really limited by the electronics’ ability to jump to another state.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Another corker at midnight here:

IT
IndigoTucker
The 6/9.25 switches in Central-land always splatted with analogue GMTV - even Digital GMTV showed 'green' splats.
JA
james-2001
I imagine what you see on telerecordings is closer to how they looked to viewers at the time.
MA
Markymark
I imagine what you see on telerecordings is closer to how they looked to viewers at the time.

Yes, I think that would be the case
:-(
A former member
Can anyone remember what Sunday best was like before the revamp?
:-(
A former member
I'll come back to sunday best, It shouldn't have needed to be cut or overhauled since it was match up with what TVAM was doing.
Anyways Russ postaged this tweet: Read the rest below:

Lead to this reply: plus 9 others:

which lead to this reply:

http://twitdoc.com/view.asp?id=449128&sid=9MJS&ext=DOCX&lcl=TV.docx&usr=trishvoice
Quote:

TV-AM was a national service There were several scenarios with them. When they first started for London they were put on the same switch, however the actual feeding arrangements I can't confirm for London i.e. if they had two feeds to Crystal Palace and
relays? The feeds to transmitters are called distribution, and from London to the Network are called Contribution.

Also note that this only ever applied for Analogue TV, now we are all digital a whole new ball game started. TVAM also fed the ITV regions, and bypassed the local regional companies to the local transmitters. But I can't even comment on each region specifically.

When GMTV started we had to reconfigure most regions for injection of Local News so each region was different. Back to TVAM, early days when they started at 0600 and ended at any time between 09:15 and 09:25. The reason for this was so BT could manually reconfigure each region so the local ITV company had access to their transmitter again.......

Then the local ITV station started at 09:25. With GMTV coming from KENT HOUSE, along with LWT and CARLTON, London had a complete secure twin feed to Crystal Palace which never changed, except if KENT HOUSE was evacuated then we would rebroadcast
another region (TVS or YTV) In London. Under normal conditions we fed up to 5 feeds of GMTV depending on the day if the week
of weekend. Again none of this exists anymore because of the way Freeview works. I could write a book on Contribution and Distribution of the ITV Network Now with one English ITV, one in Scotland and One in Northern Ireland (Wales has two services) and S4C, life is would be easier, but with Freeview and the use of multiplexes where several channels are transmitted in the same stream it's even more complex Credit: Dave Norman LWT MCR / Network Manager Network

IS
Inspector Sands
Interesting, so presumably after the Thames/LWT switches there was then another switch to changeover between the two paths of whichever was on air. If the TVam circuits weren't on those two switches they would have a seperate set of switches downstream of that.

The other question that occurs to me is why was YTV one of the potential stations that would be rebroadcast if need be?
JA
james-2001
You got non-sync cuts changing channels on analogue cable boxes too- I've got videos with it on where the picture goes all over the place. Again, it didn't look like that on the TV, just a quick flicker.

I've got a video of it here:

It was actually a nightmare to digitise that video as each non-sync cut led to the picture and sound drifting out of sync a bit more each time, so I had to keep starting and stopping and captured it as several videos then stitched it together in Adobe Premiere.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Some videos you were able to change the channel being recorded without needing to stop the recording and it generated what was effectively a non-sync cut and "splat" on the recording, as seen here from 7 seconds in:

Newer posts