TV Home Forum

New BBC corporate font: BBC Reith

To replace Gill Sans in print and on screen (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MD
mdtauk
On the BBC website they detail the different font weights and the thin version just looks like it would be better. Using the regular version on documents, the font just seems a little too thick so it would be more used at larger sizes for titles etc. and not for large blocks of text etc.

Would be better to have a Book or Semilight weight between Light and Regular
PF
PFML84
Probably, just finding it is a mission! The only thing the BBC seem to use on their Sport website is the Regular or Bold variants.
MD
mdtauk
Probably, just finding it is a mission! The only thing the BBC seem to use on their Sport website is the Regular or Bold variants.

The GEL site uses more variations. But as it is their custom font, they are not inclined to make it easy to obtain. Wink
PF
PFML84
They certainly don't, but it's fun to try! The Sans Regular, Bold, Medium and Extra Bold are on GEL, but still can't find a page that uses the Sans Light weight.
Last edited by PFML84 on 24 January 2018 10:44am
MD
mdtauk
They certainly don't, but it's fun to try! The Sans Regular, Bold, Medium and Extra Bold are on GEL, but still can't find a page that uses the Sans Light weight.

PF
PFML84
Stop being a tease! Laughing
WA
Warbler
I've got a few ideas...

24 days later

JA
JAS84
Reith now in use on BBC Four trailers, spotted after the TOTP2 disco programme earlier. Serif bold variant.
DB
dbl
JAS84 posted:
Reith now in use on BBC Four trailers, spotted after the TOTP2 disco programme earlier. Serif bold variant.

AG
AxG
Hm maybe would have been better with the programme in bold, and web address in light.
IT
Ittr
dbl posted:
JAS84 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTyTPLgDSyA

*shivers*
MD
mdtauk
I was hoping the introduction of Reith would for the channel brands to refresh, but I guess this new trailer endboard style is the best we are going to get.

For what it's worth, I like it, and think it suits the channel, using serif variants.

Newer posts