TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
Larry the Loafer
I wonder if there's any on screen mention about it, or would they assume the viewers wouldn't care?
PA
paul_hadley
I wonder if there's any on screen mention about it, or would they assume the viewers wouldn't care?

There was.
FB
FBC
http://i65.tinypic.com/mhynok.png
BR
Brekkie
A reminder there of how many people it actually takes to make what is a fairly straight forward TV show.
JO
Jonwo
Graham did look bleary eyed in the monologue so I wouldn't be surprised if the final episode at TLS was emotional for him.
NB
NicB1971
Most people out there don't care and don't know where a programme is made. The demise of the ITV network and buildings such as Central House/ATV Centre, Lenton Lane, Teddington Lock, Euston Road, TVC, Pebble Mill and South Bank means we have lost so much of this country's social history, as well as the great people behind and in front of the camera. We've lost identity and regionalism with no local programmes for rural matters and suchlike, we have to rely on BBC Regions for Inside Out.
Everything has been forced up to Manchester (now badged as Salford) and Glasgow rather than Birmingham or London just for the sake of some PC box ticking exercise because trendy media luvvies and know-it-alls who have absolutely no idea whatsoever about broadcasting thought it was the right-on thing to do.
Growing up in the 60s/70s/80s we became fascinated by media studies in the true sense of watching what went on behind the scenes rather than in front of the camera and what broadcasting really meant.
Fortunately there are so many great resources out there, such as Transdiffusion, to enable us to hold on to the past for our future.
Many of the iconic shows are still talked about today from nearly 50 years ago - how many others will stand the test of time. Too much is reliant on soaps and 'reality' shows for ITV to survive - it must also look to its past to survive for its future.
IS
Inspector Sands

Everything has been forced up to Manchester (now badged as Salford) and Glasgow rather than Birmingham or London

No, everything hasn't been forced out of London. The vast majority of broadcasting still comes from London.
(and it's not just 'badged' Salford, it is actually in Salford)

Quote:
Growing up in the 60s/70s/80s we became fascinated by media studies in the true sense of watching what went on behind the scenes rather than in front of the camera and what broadcasting really meant.

Problem is that broadcasting as we know it is on the way out, that's not the fault of so-called 'trendy media luvvies', it's because of progress.

I was fascinated by what happens behind the scenes when I was a kid, and I've made a good career in the industry. But I wouldn't be as fascinated these days because I can do what the broadcasters do on my laptop and phone

Quote:
Fortunately there are so many great resources out there, such as Transdiffusion, to enable us to hold on to the past for our future. Many of the iconic shows are still talked about today from nearly 50 years ago - how many others will stand the test of time. Too much is reliant on soaps and 'reality' shows for ITV to survive - it must also look to its past to survive for its future.

Looking to the past and reminiscing about how things used to be is all very well, but that doesn't mean it provides a model for the future. I'm sure it would be lovely for ITV to have the sort of programming that it did in the 70's and 80's... but times change and there's YouTube and Amazon and Netflix etc
CO
commseng
There is a certain nostalgia in looking back at old studios, and now that the LWT South Bank is about to be demolished, and Ulster are moving out of Havelock House, there are only Kirkstall Road (Yorkshire) and Anglia House which are original premises.

I'm sure many of us on this forum had a sudden moment of excitement when we first got a look at the studios which we had been watching and listening to avidly, and seeing all the work going on around them. In later years as many were run down and almost empty the heart and soul disappeared.
What has happened is that although programmes are still being made, there is less of a focus on having it all together, and letting cross fertilisation of ideas between people on totally different strands take place.

Progress - yes, but better, I'm not so sure.
FA
fanoftv
Is there a reason that the Graham Norton show is sending their use of open studios this early? I'm assuming that Ant & Dec's Saturday night Takeaway will still come from studio 1 at TLS. Maybe they've booked out the studio for extra rehearsal time from the Thursday. Does it normally affect Graham's run?

I can understand Graham's emotion when he's worked at those studios for his chat shows since the late 90s.

I imagine Ant & Dec and other ITV stars will feel the same. For Ant & Dec you could say that Studio 2 at TLS was where they were noticed by the masses with SM:TV. A shame that they won't be able to use it for the 20th anniversary show later this year.
IS
Inspector Sands
Is there a reason that the Graham Norton show is sending their use of open studios this early? I'm assuming that Ant & Dec's Saturday night Takeaway will still come from studio 1 at TLS. Maybe they've booked out the studio for extra rehearsal time from the Thursday. Does it normally affect Graham's run?

Presumably so they don't have to swap studio location mid run. It's off for a few weeks now and then presumably runs until the summer
NG
noggin Founding member
Is there a reason that the Graham Norton show is sending their use of open studios this early?

Presumably they want to be in the same studio for the run, so that they have continuity of 'look', staff (though to be fair most are freelance), and lighting plots etc. for the run. If the set is changed in anyway (could be a new set?) for TC1 - then it makes sense to do this at the start of a run, not mid-run (which would be much trickier to set-up/look-see/pilot within)
Quote:

I imagine Ant & Dec and other ITV stars will feel the same. For Ant & Dec you could say that Studio 2 at TLS was where they were noticed by the masses with SM:TV. A shame that they won't be able to use it for the 20th anniversary show later this year.

Yes - though SM:TV did move to Riverside before the end of its run didn't it - so they've already left TLS with a show once (and also worked extensively at Fountain - RIP - on BGT)
JA
james-2001
Though SM:TV had already been axed by the time they moved. I presume they'd have stayed at TLS if it had been recommissioned, the space they were put into at Riverside was really cramped. They had to go outside for Eat My Goal and into an entirely different studio for any music performances.

Newer posts