The Newsroom

BBC Weather changes preview

Website displaying pages with Meteo data on adapted URL (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
I think if they removed the grey cloud from the weather maps, that would be a step in the right direction. And then show where the cloud is via shadowing on the ground. As the old maps didn't show grey cloud - just light and dark patches on the ground - which is easier to see where the rain and everything else is then. The cloud covers up the map too much - and then makes it difficult to differentiate from snow, cloud and fog then.

However, as has already been pointed out:-

Joe posted:
Clouds are typically found way up in the sky – they're the white or grey fluffy things you see on a typical day. Snow is the white stuff that falls down from the sky and lands on the ground.

...I am able to tell the difference between these weather events in everyday life.

Has anyone watched the new BBC Weather and then been able to easily recall what the weather is going to be like the next day?
Last edited by Juicy Joe on 13 February 2018 11:15pm - 2 times in total
BR
brioalex
As a graphic designer myself, the alignment here really offends me!

Last edited by brioalex on 13 February 2018 8:24pm
BA
bilky asko
Bring back the old symbols!

Bring back magnetic GOF!
NE
Neil__

Bring back magnetic GOF!

Bring back Michael Fish!
JW
JamesWorldNews

Bring back magnetic GOF!

Bring back Michael Fish!

"John Kettley is a weatherman, a weatherman, a weatherman. John Kettley is a weatherman, and so is Michael Fish...... And so is Ian McCaskill..........."

Made it onto TOTP, if I'm not mistaken.
Woodpecker, DE88 and Neil__ gave kudos
NE
neonemesis

So did Jimmy Saville, so not a perfect benchmark of quality Wink
London Lite and Stuart gave kudos
JA
james-2001

So did Jimmy Saville, so not a perfect benchmark of quality Wink

'ows about that then?
WM
W M
The new BBC weather graphics look a bit mid 2000's to me. I always find graphics generally on the BBC to be a bit dated though. It's like they always seem to be about ten years behind everyone else. Especially Sport and News.

ITV's weather looks current and contemporary.
NE
Neil__
Just seen them on the TV for the first time.
The black outline separating land and sea looks wrong to me - I presume it's so the country shows up if there's a lot of cloud cover etc, but it looks clumsy.
AS
AlexS
The prerecorded forecast on the Newschannel at 23:27 and 23:57 began 'good morning'

15 days later

JJ
Juicy Joe Founding member
Finding it strange that there have been no changes or improvements to BBC Weather graphics after over 4 weeks?

I feel watching BBC Weather is so depressing these days with grey cloud and mist being shown on every single forecast filling the screen up and making it seem the UK never gets any sunny spells - rather than just showing shadowing on the ground like ITV and the Met Office do.
IS
Inspector Sands
Finding it strange that there have been no changes or improvements to BBC Weather graphics after over 4 weeks?

They've probably got a stack of bugs and tweaks and changes they want to make but they'll probably do them all in one go. As it's an off the shelf product they might have to get the developers to do the changes and then roll out updates
Quote:

I feel watching BBC Weather is so depressing these days with grey cloud and mist being shown on every single forecast

That's the British weather!

Newer posts