TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
TellyTime
Has C5 dropped NCIS and spin offs without saying so?

No. Why would you think that?

NCIS and NCIS: Los Angeles continue to air on 5USA, and NCIS: New Orleans is on a break from Channel 5 but will return in 2018.
ZE
zeebre12
I meant from the main Channel 5 channel.
PF
PFML84
What is Channel 5's thing with slants? The logos for every one of their spin-offs (and arguably the main one too) feature some sort of slant - The A in 5 USA, the A in 5 STAR, the L in 5 SELECT, one runs through the whole thing in 5 SPIKE. Did someone think it was really cool and they should build a motif around it or something?
JA
JAS84
Well, Spike wasn't Channel 5's decision, as that one was the logo for it's US counterpart.
TE
tesandco Founding member
Not much of a fanfare for the opening for 5Select this morning. Indeed no announcement at all prerecorded for the 9am ident...

Promo

Ident Purple (9am)

Ident White (9.10am)

Ident Blue (9.40am)

Last edited by tesandco on 13 February 2018 10:05am - 2 times in total
bkman1990 and paul_hadley gave kudos
OR
orange
The ‘Prime’ background still happening... even during idents. Half arsed, but what do you expect from a rushed launch orchestrated by Channel 5 of all channels?
TI
This Is Granada
_Tom_ posted:
The ‘Prime’ background still happening... even during idents. Half arsed, but what do you expect from a rushed launch orchestrated by Channel 5 of all channels?

I can make out letters "S" "E" "C" "T" in the background (freeze the 9:10am ident at 2 seconds) but dont see any "P" "R" "I" "M" floating about, so where is the prime in this ident then??
MR
mr_vivian
_Tom_ posted:

I can make out letters "S" "E" "C" "T" in the background (freeze the 9:10am ident at 2 seconds) but dont see any "P" "R" "I" "M" floating about, so where is the prime in this ident then??

There's definitely an "R" at 0:09 in the ident blue - but it starts with the select letters.... yeah pretty half arsed would sum it up
WA
Warbler
The old My5 (channel) idents had the letters from all the other C5 spinoff channels in their idents, such as the 'R' mentioned above, IIRC. I can only assume that part of the 5Select ident is just a bit of the old My5 pres repurposed in another colour - the 'R' coming from '5Star'. That would also explain why there's a U in the same image - coming from 5USA. Obviously a channel launch done on the cheap.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Amazon Prime is rebranding as:

http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/IROL/17/176060/prime_RGB.png

Don't need to have a degree in intellectual property to work out where the objection to 5Prime came from.
FA
fanoftv
Who is this channel aimed at? All channels are on Freeview, and with programming such as the Yorkshire Vet at 9pm, it's hardly setting the world alight.
PF
PFML84
The DOG looks strange. The L and C are too jaunty compared to the rest and it looks almost like it’s a comedy or kids channel logo than a serious channel logo for the “premium” angle they are trying to go for.

I also think it would look a lot better if 5 SPIKE’s DOG moved to the top left and was reduced in size to match all the other channels.

Newer posts