The Newsroom

NBC News, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC affiliates and TODAY

NBC launches new Washington D.C. bureau and studios (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVViewer256
I know that this thread is quite like the other US news one, but I feel that NBC News as an operation warrants it’s own thread. This is also for talk about their coverage of the olympics. KLG and Hoda is being presented by KLG and Jenna from studio 6a as opposed to upstairs of studio 1a
Last edited by TVViewer256 on 11 October 2020 7:13pm
RK
Rkolsen
How about CNBC and their affiliate base?

You know the drones that made the Olympic Rings during the opening ceremony (even if it was prerecorded) NBC got them to do one with the Today Show logo during rehearsals. Maybe I’ll try to find a screen capture.

As for Today the Saturday edition is split with Sheinelle Jones at 30 Rock and Craig Melvin in Pyeongchang. The show actually originated from their largest insert studio (the same one Wake Up With Al used). Sheinelle sat in front of the 103” monitor showing a prerecorded plaza backdrop. The only way you noticed she wasn’t in studio 1A was during weather and bits with Dave Price from WNBC when you saw the rest of the studio.

Edit : I am currently transferring some shows to my computer. Due to the size of the TiVo files and length it will probably take all night to transfer some 75 GB of video. The standard two hour weekday Today in it of itself is about 12 GBs large at averaging at 15 Mbps (remember we use MPEG 2) and surprisingly Saturday Today was averaging 17 Mbps (out of the 19 Mbps limit on ATSC 1.0)
Last edited by Rkolsen on 13 February 2018 2:27am
RK
Rkolsen
Okay, here's one video I was able to get done tonight as it was the first one transferred and transcoded from the .TiVo format. This shows the NBC News Special Report ticker that is used during breaking news that is major enough to warrant a ticker but not enough for a full on special report. The ticker appears at the bottom of the screen (but I edited it to avoid YouTube automatically removing it) and squeezes the program feed upwards. If a local affiliate is inserting their own logo on screen it will stay in the position it was.

Edit : I spelled something wrong. It is being fixed.

Edit 2 :

Edit 3 : The video was taken down due to violating community standards and was considered spam. I am appealing the decision. However I reposted it to Twitter and can be seen in this post.
Last edited by Rkolsen on 14 February 2018 12:52am - 3 times in total
RK
Rkolsen
Sorry for multiple posts. It gets a pain to edit them after a while. Here's a peak at Today's graphics and the insert studio that Saturday Today used.

(Note they revert back to the regular graphics for non Olympic stories - for some reason they do not insert the Today Show logo in the lower thirds)

Like in Rio they edited the ticker space that the affiliates use. The affiliates did not have to change any of their settings rather the Today team changed the backdrop for the affiliate text to overlay.
TV
TVViewer256
*changed the name to include affiliated and CNBC
TV
TVViewer256
Could someone upload the open? For some reason the main TODAY program is not available on catch up
WN
wnbc4fan
Included in this story:
http://www.newscaststudio.com/2018/02/12/today-pyeongchang-olympics-212/
RK
Rkolsen
So my special report ticker video was removed from YouTube because someone marked it as spam. Well I reedited the video to include another special report ticker from the previous year and uploaded it to Twitter.

RK
Rkolsen
Could someone upload the open? For some reason the main TODAY program is not available on catch up

I made a video containing each half hour show open along with some other program elements. It's currently being uploaded to YouTube but should be available soon. Hopefully it won't be taken down - the only Olympic content that was included was the highlight clips that were used in the cold opens of each block.

watchingtv, TVFan2017 and fanoftv gave kudos
FA
fanoftv
The money and production that they put into The Today show is outstanding from a British perspective.

The theme sounds majestic. Is that NBC's Winter Olympic theme?
AG
AxG
Two words: John Williams
BR
Brekkie
Yes, called Buglers Theme and been used since 1984. Good article here about it: http://theconversation.com/music-of-champions-how-cbc-and-nbc-olympic-themes-shape-our-differences-91184

Newer posts