TV Home Forum

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Sunday 8pm on ITV (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gottago
Millionaire has indeed been recommissioned by ITV for later this year though from what I’ve heard Clarkson has already turned it down.

Where have you heard ITV has recommissioned it??

Work. Tarrant is unlikely to return due to personal reasons.

It’s 20 years since the show began this year so I wouldn’t be surprised if they linked that with its comeback.

Personally I think it’s too soon to bring it back. The format felt so tired by the end and was really trailing in the ratings. Unlike Dancing On Ice it doesn’t feel like that long ago since it was last on.
AN
Andrew Founding member
If they did it right, like the early days, stripped across one week, with members of the public, with a good selection of people who are intelligent and risk takers, it could work.

If they fill it either with risk adverse people like most recently meaning nobody gets more than £32k, or cast it with bubbly characters like you get on Tipping Point, or fill it with celebs from Love Island, then it won’t work.

If it’s on Channel 5 it won’t work in either case.
DJ Dave and Juicy Joe gave kudos
JO
Jonwo
From ITV Daytime, Eamonn Holmes would probably be another who might work.

For female hosts, you'd probably be looking at somebody like Anne Robinson, or poaching Victoria Coren-Mitchell from Only Connect.

Eamonn has done gameshows in the past so he wouldn’t be a bad choice. Ruth would be okay if they were to choose a female host.
BR
Brekkie
Eamonn would be a good choice. Richard Madeley might be an option too, though lately (and thankfully) ITV have actually tended to opt for comics in many hosting roles so that could be an option. Female host wise Davina could be an option.

Ultimately though for it to work it needs to return to being a show about the people but I suspect it'll be celebrity dominated as usual.
SP
Spencer
Millionaire and its big-cash prizes were only ever possible due to the huge revenue generated by the premium rate phone line you had to call to enter.

This was in the days before premium rate TV phone lines had a bad reputation for ripping off the public. Maybe people have mellowed towards them now, I don't know. But, even if they have, the programme started in the days when most people didn't have digital TV, on-demand TV, smartphones and the internet competing for their attention, so they'll have a tough job trying to bring in the same level of revenue to make the show viable - unless, of course, they make the questions ridiculously difficult so there's no chance of giving the jackpot away. And if the show was on Channel 5, they'd have no chance.

Edit: Just realised no-one's suggested Greg Scott for presenter. I am on TV Forum, aren't I? Wink
Gary Baldy and Woodpecker gave kudos
GM
Gary McEwan
Millionaire and its big-cash prizes were only ever possible due to the huge revenue generated by the premium rate phone line you had to call to enter.

This was in the days before premium rate TV phone lines had a bad reputation for ripping off the public. Maybe people have mellowed towards them now, I don't know. But, even if they have, the programme started in the days when most people didn't have digital TV, on-demand TV, smartphones and the internet competing for their attention, so they'll have a tough job trying to bring in the same level of revenue to make the show viable - unless, of course, they make the questions ridiculously difficult so there's no chance of giving the jackpot away. And if the show was on Channel 5, they'd have no chance.

Edit: Just realised no-one's suggested Greg Scott for presenter. I am on TV Forum, aren't I? Wink

Calls to get a chance to appear on Millionaire back in the day were only 50p unlike the £2 that it is now to even enter a competition.

It could do well with Product Placement, Phone a Friend sponsored by BT or the likes, the computer screens by LG or Samsung. Surely a deal like that could bring in some revenue...
BR
Brekkie
Yes, good luck catching your friend on the landline.
OW
owainshenton
Clarkson has confirmed this via twitter, that he will be hosting the reboot.
GM
Gary McEwan

Want to link the tweet on here please?
LL
Lottie Long-Legs

Where, exactly?
GM
Gary McEwan

No he hasn't...post the tweet if he has.
DC
DCI02

No he hasn't...post the tweet if he has.

Newer posts