TV Home Forum

Channel 4

General Discussion (November 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MR
mr_vivian
I’ve always found it odd how C4 was launched to develop unique, original programmes and alternative viewpoints for underserved audiences and help develop an indie sector... and yet the very first programme they chose to air was a fairly run of the mill quiz show bought in from France that had already been tried out on air and was made by one of the dominant ITV companies! It wasn’t exactly a statement piece!

I agree, probably at the time (I wasn't even alive) everyone would have said the same thing. As odd as it is, it was a good choice because it's still on TV today.
HC
Hatton Cross
But that was probably the idea.

First programme needed to look and flow on screen, as there would be extra pairs of eyes watching out of curiosity, and you didn't want a show that looked like it was thrown together at the last minute, so get a company with over 15 years (at the time) of programming making experience to make it.
MY
MY83
Jon posted:
I'm sure blind traffic wardens would be popular but they wouldn't do a very good job.

Is there any other kind?

8 days later

ST
steveboswell
All4 and 4HD will be leaving Freesat on Thursday, according to an email sent out to registered users this morning:

Quote:
We’re sorry to announce that All 4 and 4HD will be leaving Freesat on Thursday 22nd February, 2018.

Channel 4 is still available in standard definition, but any recordings you have scheduled for 4HD will need to be re-set in SD (via channel 104).

E4, More 4, 4seven and Film4 remain unaffected and can be accessed via the TV guide as usual, but the rollback guide and catch-up TV for all of the Channel 4 channels will no longer be available via your Freesat box.
PF
PFML84
Any explanation given as to why? Losing Channel 4 in HD for Freesat is a massive blow.
MA
Markymark
Any explanation given as to why? Losing Channel 4 in HD for Freesat is a massive blow.

I can only think it's some sort of carriage dispute ?

What will be interesting on Thursday is to see whether the transmission goes encrypted or not. If it does, then
Sky have probably made some deal with them ?
JO
Joe
Not much notice!
DA
davidhorman
Well that's just rude. Don't Ofcom have anything to say about this, given Channel 4's public service remit?
HC
Hatton Cross
No - because Channel 4 are replacing 4HD with 4SD. The forth highest slot on the EPG is still protected.

Unless im wrong, I'm sure there are no Ofcom rules about which definition version of which channel has to sit in the first 5 slots of any platforms EPG.
MA
Markymark
No - because Channel 4 are replacing 4HD with 4SD. The forth highest slot on the EPG is still protected.

Unless im wrong, I'm sure there are no Ofcom rules about which definition version of which channel has to sit in the first 5 slots of any platforms EPG.

Ofcom (or is it DCMS) say that the HD variants can only occupy the traditional 'SD' EPG positions if they are EXACTLY the same versions as the SD versions (i.e same adS, and regional programming).

However, rules state that only the SD versions of the five main PSB need to be carried, and be FTA
DA
davidhorman
Oh well. I guess I can stop hoping for Film4HD to arrive as well, then.
NG
noggin Founding member
Wow - that's a major loss for Freesat. Hope this is just posturing...

Newer posts