TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
TOTP was very late in going widescreen, as they waited until moving back to Television Centre in 2001 to do so (after ten years in Elstree).

I think TOTP had a few months at Riverside before moving back to TVC. Weren't they kicked out of Elstree C because of EastEnders needing the space due to going 4 times a week?
JA
james-2001
though after a couple of weeks it seemingly went back to just Jamie hosting every week.

That was one of the things really dull about TOTP in the late 90s/early 00s, how it was just Jamie Theakston most weeks. Then after the 2003 revamp it was Tim Kash every week, followed by Fearne Cotton and/or Reggie Yates most weeks. It was better for the show to have decent variety with the hosts, not just one or two people doing the bulk of everything.

The 1992-94 period was similarly dull with just Dortie and Franklin every week for 15 months.

and they also regularly used artists as guest presenters

To be fair, that's what our TOTP did between 1994-97 as well!
Lottie Long-Legs, DE88 and Woodpecker gave kudos
WO
Woodpecker
and they also regularly used artists as guest presenters

To be fair, that's what our TOTP did between 1994-97 as well!

That is very true - and there were some good moments that came out of this, IMO. One example that springs to mind is when Damon Albarn hosted; whilst he was introducing Oasis, Noel Gallagher made rude gestures behind him:

(At the end, Damon mentions a rather unfortunate guest host for next week's show...)

Another of my favourite guest hosts was Dennis Pennis (a popular fictional TV host played by Paul Kaye), who spent the entire show viciously mocking the acts that appeared and generally being a cut above your typical trite host:

I quite enjoyed that era of TOTP: other memorable hosts included one-off returnee John Peel, who was also quite sarcastic, in his own inimitable manner; and Meat Loaf, who, so the story goes, started the show by screaming down the microphone because the script said 'INTRO: Terrorvision', with Meat Loaf not realising that Terrorvision were a band...
Last edited by Woodpecker on 10 February 2018 11:12pm - 2 times in total
paul_hadley and rdobbie gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Dennis Pennis of course is as much of a real person as Keith Lemon is.
WO
Woodpecker
Dennis Pennis of course is as much of a real person as Keith Lemon is.

I realise that; I would have thought that most people reading would know that he was a character played by Paul Kaye. Maybe I should edit my post anyway...
JA
james-2001
I wonder if they'd put Keith Lemon on an episode if it was still running now, he seems to be on everything else.
WO
Woodpecker
I wonder if they'd put Keith Lemon on an episode if it was still running now, he seems to be on everything else.

I think it would have been a certainty. Part of me is disappointed that the BBC chose not to revive the TOTP name instead of launching Sounds Like Friday Night: on one hand, I can understand why they might see it as tainted, but on the other, they still use it for Christmas specials - leading us to the situation we're in now, where SLFN is their main music show (albeit one that only runs for six weeks at a time), but TOTP is still wheeled out for Xmas, like the drunken uncle whom no one really likes.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 26 March 2021 3:18pm
RW
Robert Williams Founding member
I record from BBC4 SD and always get it pillarboxed :p

On BBC Four SD, on Freeview at least, they normally switch off the widescreen flag on 4:3 programmes, which means that the picture fills the screen on 4:3 sets. They didn't do that on either 7.30 or 11.30 airings yesterday, or on The Good Old Days, which meant that the picture had black bars on all four sides. Sounds of the 60s in between, on the other hand, was transmitted correctly.

Viewers on 16:9 sets would have just seen black bars either side, same as what BBC Four HD viewers always see.

Fingers crossed they get it right on the final airing of this episode tonight, otherwise I'll just have to hope they get round to 1985 again on the late night repeated repeats.

Unfortunately last night's airing was once again transmitted with black bars down each side; the repeat of the previous episode immediately before it was correctly flagged as 4:3.

The fact that all three airings of the same episode went out the same seems to indicate that this programme was flagged incorrectly when loaded into the system, rather than there's someone sitting there pressing a button to make it happen as it goes out.
RW
Robert Williams Founding member

I think it would have been a certainty. Part of me is disappointed that the BBC chose not to revive the TOTP name instead of launching Sounds Like Friday Night: on one hand, I can understand why they might see it as tainted, but on the other, they still use it for Christmas specials - leading us to the situation we're in now, where SLFN is their main music show (albeit one that only runs for six weeks at a time), but TOTP is still wheeled out for Xmas, like the drunken uncle whom no one really likes.

I was glad when BBC One's new music show launched as something other than TOTP, because my fear about reviving it as a weekly show is that it could potentially threaten the classic repeats. BBC One would want TOTP to be viewed as a contemporary brand, rather than the retro brand that it has now become, which could lead to them to ask BBC Four to end the repeat run. Personally, I would much rather have the old episodes than new ones! On the other hand, TOTP and TOTP2 were able to happily co-exist for years, so who knows?
JA
JAS84
That would be stupid. ITV don't have a problem showing classic Corrie on ITV3 and new episodes on ITV with repeats of those on ITV2 (they'd only stopped previously because the channel they were on, Plus, had closed down). All they need is separation by channel. New stuff would only be on BBC1, BBC2, and CBBC. BBC4 could easily continue the 1980s episodes without problems. To give another example, BBC4 have shown classic Doctor Who occasionally. The 21st century episodes, of course, were on BBC1 and BBC3. TOTP shouldn't be treated any differently.
SW
Steve Williams
I think it was upon the return to Television Centre in 2001. TOTP was comparatively late in moving to widescreen, most other BBC programmes had already make the switch a few years earlier. Parkinson is the other notable example of a programme that remained in 4:3, and I think it stayed that way until moving to ITV.

Yes, perhaps oddly Pops was one of the last primetime BBC1 programmes to be made in 4:3. Most of the rest of primetime had gone to widescreen in 1998 - shows like Watchdog, HIGNFY and Buzzcocks had all gone into widescreen after their summer breaks that year. Pops stayed in 4:3 for ages after, partly I think because of it exporting all of its clips to the international versions (which I assume were later into 4:3) and also partly because it was made using ancient facilities in Elstree. I know TV Studio History says that they used to "borrow" one of the other studios' galleries in Elstree because their studio's gallery hadn't been upgraded since the ATV days, but then that studio went on long-term hire to Kilroy so they couldn't use it, and so used an old OB truck parked outside as a gallery.

As we've mentioned before, even when they went widescreen they didn't have new opening titles, they just used the old ones badly converted to widescreen, before the new ones finally arrived at Christmas.

Yes, it was upon the return to TVC in October 2001. ISTR that Jamie Theakston, Zoe Ball and someone else (possibly Dermot O'Leary?) presented the first show: though after a couple of weeks it seemingly went back to just Jamie hosting every week. You might remember that that was the relaunch that introduced the wonderful(!) Star Bar, touted as giving viewers the opportunity to see their favourite artists unwinding. Of course, the reality was far more underwhelming...

When they went back to TVC in 2001, Theakston, Ball and O'Leary were announced as the "new" Pops team - Ball had presented it before, of course, while O'Leary had never done it. O'Leary only did one more and Ball never presented it again. That 2001 revamp also included a Liquid News-branded news round-up during it which they also never did again.

I think TOTP had a few months at Riverside before moving back to TVC. Weren't they kicked out of Elstree C because of EastEnders needing the space due to going 4 times a week?

That's right - they did the show from Riverside from around May to October in 2001.
Woodpecker, sbahnhof 7 and DE88 gave kudos

Newer posts