The Newsroom

BBC Weather changes preview

Website displaying pages with Meteo data on adapted URL (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
Do people complain when ITV or Channel 4 make such changes (aside from programming) or is it just because of the license fee?

Probably neither. The BBC weather is just more important to people.

More people watch (and I think more value) the BBC Weather than ITV/C4/C5's services (after all C4 used not to have weather presenters at all until recently) - and the whole BBC weather operation is probably more in the public consciousness than ITV weather.
BA
bilky asko
You don't have to be a "left wing EU fanatic" to see brexit is a damaging clusterf**k.

There's plenty of EU supporters on the right anyway. Unless you're telling me Tory MPs like Soubry and Clarke are really "lefties".

Perhaps the more pertinent analogy would be the bashing that led to mistrust of the BBC in Scotland over the Sexit referendum.
VM
VMPhil
Exactly - the outgoing graphics were pretty much hated when they launched and it took a long time really for that style of forecast to be accepted as the norm.

But the initial graphics aren't the graphics that have been replaced. Those were tweaked greatly over time - I think it's fair for people to give feedback and complaints on these initial new graphics as they will also inevitably be changed over time.
NG
noggin Founding member
Exactly - the outgoing graphics were pretty much hated when they launched and it took a long time really for that style of forecast to be accepted as the norm.

But the initial graphics aren't the graphics that have been replaced. Those were tweaked greatly over time - I think it's fair for people to give feedback and complaints on these initial new graphics as they will also inevitably be changed over time.

Two of the three major causes of complaint didn't change much though. The angle of the map was revised to increase the size of Scotland on the projection, but the scorched earth landmass colouring (people wanted bright green land) and the 3D fly around (which was controversial as you could miss your own region if you looked away at the wrong point) remained largely unchanged didn't they?
RD
RDJ

Two of the three major causes of complaint didn't change much though. The angle of the map was revised to increase the size of Scotland on the projection, but the scorched earth landmass colouring (people wanted bright green land) and the 3D fly around (which was controversial as you could miss your own region if you looked away at the wrong point) remained largely unchanged didn't they?

The 3D fly around had slowed down in speed considerably compared to launch due to complaints of dizziness. And the brown didn't change much but I believe the brightness contrast during Summer/Winter seasons wasn't something they implemented initially and that it was the same shades of brown to start with.

I remember the influx of complaints at the start was of the removal of pressure charts and they were soon reintroduced after a couple of months.
MA
Markymark
You don't have to be a "left wing EU fanatic" to see brexit is a damaging clusterf**k.

There's plenty of EU supporters on the right anyway. Unless you're telling me Tory MPs like Soubry and Clarke are really "lefties".

Perhaps Godwin's Law now needs to be updated to replace Hilter with Brexit ?
WW
WW Update

How about leaving politics to a different forum, such as the Politics thread 'on the other side'. Wink

To be fair, you were the one who started ranting about "left-wing EU fanatics," so you might want to follow your own advice. At least james-2001's post, off-topic as it was, concerned media coverage of the issue.
rupesh, Neil__ and james-2001 gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Do people complain when ITV or Channel 4 make such changes (aside from programming) or is it just because of the license fee?

Probably neither. The BBC weather is just more important to people.

More people watch (and I think more value) the BBC Weather than ITV/C4/C5's services (after all C4 used not to have weather presenters at all until recently) - and the whole BBC weather operation is probably more in the public consciousness than ITV weather.

Yes, BBC have had weather forecasts since the 50s, ITV didn't have a national weather forecast until 1989 and until fairly recently every region had their own style of forecast so it isn't as well established as the BBC's.

The scale of the BBC's weather output is also a lot bigger than anyone else's - TV forecasters appear on radio stations, both local and national. It's far more well known and familiar than its rival services
SP
Spencer

It wasn’t so much a case of looking away and missing your own region, but initially the time progressed as the fly-through sequence went on, so you might see the forecast for the South-West at 8am, and by the time you got to Scotland, the forecast was showing 5pm meaning each area missed out on a large chunk of the day’s forecast. This was rectified pretty quickly so the forecast was frozen for the fly-through.
MA
Markymark
ITV didn't have a national weather forecast until 1989

Earlier than that, 82/83 ish ? (But all your points still stand)
NG
noggin Founding member
ITV didn't have a national weather forecast until 1989

Earlier than that, 82/83 ish ? (But all your points still stand)

Pretty certain it launched in the late 80s Markymark? Don't remember there being a national forecast on ITV before the Powergen sponsored forecasts that presenters like Trish Williamson, Martyn Davies and Alex Hill presented?
JA
james-2001
1989 is correct! TV Ark (when it was online) had a video of the first ever forecast.

Newer posts