TV Home Forum

Channel 5 general discussion

(revised repeat) (February 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
steveboswell

You can see all the flying letters still spell "P R I M E" rather than Select, so they'd clearly got most of the presentation finalised before the name change.
VM
VMPhil
Is 'popular factual' a phrase that will mean anything to most TV viewers? Surely that's more of an industry term?
TI
This Is Granada
The 5Select promo states freeview channel 55. My5 TV is currently on Ch54, so is this a mistake on the promo (which would not surprise me as this 5Select launch is coming across rather rushed and sloppy) or is the channel moving back to 55 where Channel 5+24 and My5 TV once was before they stupidly moved it to 54 to make way for 5Star+1 on 55.
PF
PFML84
It's a CGI rendering, would it have really cost them that much to go back and change the background lettering to S E L E C T? They already did it for P R I M E and it has the same number of differing letters. Or perhaps its subliminal, they want us to see "prime" and think these programmes are actually good...
VM
VMPhil
Has anyone else noticed that Neighbours seems to look a bit washed out on Channel 5? Whenever I pass by it, it almost looks like there's a grey haze over the picture. It doesn't seem to affect any other programme.
NG
noggin Founding member
Has anyone else noticed that Neighbours seems to look a bit washed out on Channel 5? Whenever I pass by it, it almost looks like there's a grey haze over the picture. It doesn't seem to affect any other programme.

I took that as a grading decision made by the Neighbours team. The switch from 'bright and shiny 50Hz interlaced' to 'desaturated and thin 25Hz progressive film look' did it no favours..
JA
james-2001
The switch from 'bright and shiny 50Hz interlaced' to 'desaturated and thin 25Hz progressive film look' did it no favours..

That's the way you have to make drama these days, unfortunately. Anything else looks "cheap" or "old fashioned" apparently.
Last edited by james-2001 on 7 February 2018 11:27pm - 5 times in total
JB
JasonB

I took that as a grading decision made by the Neighbours team. The switch from 'bright and shiny 50Hz interlaced' to 'desaturated and thin 25Hz progressive film look' did it no favours..

Or when they painted every set back in 2007 to dark and dull colours for HD broadcast.
JA
james-2001

Or when they painted every set back in 2007 to dark and dull colours for HD broadcast.

Funny how our soaps didn't need to do these things when they went HD. No film effect, no dull colours painted all over the sets, no "gray haze" over the picture.
VM
VMPhil
Hmm, I’m pretty sure that it didn’t look specifically the way I describe until recently though, as it’s been film look over ten years now.
TI
This Is Granada
Hmm, I’m pretty sure that it didn’t look specifically the way I describe until recently though, as it’s been film look over ten years now.

I'm glad i'm not the only one to notice this. Its mainly on indoor scenes, in the houses it looks not as bright as it was, its greyed, washed out and dull lighting. The outside scenes on Ramsey st in daylight look much better, brighter and more like the sunny Australia we are use to.

I think this change in filming indoor scenes happened since the start of the 2018 season. I hope it gets changed back. Neighbours film about 3 months in advance so we will have a while to wait if it does change back. Depends how many complaints Freemantle get....if any.
watchingtv and VMPhil gave kudos
ZE
zeebre12
Has C5 dropped NCIS and spin offs without saying so?

Newer posts