The Newsroom

The news on France 3: new look

Launch date: February 5, 2018 (February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HA
Hazimworks
Just like with the last few looks, France 3 appears to be sticking with a more linear look

Indeed. Specifically, the new look reminds me of the one used in the mid-'00s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuvIBxOPfDA

What you don't realize is that it's seems that it's based on France 3's on-air presentation.
RK
Rkolsen
Are the Marmottes still there?

QN
Quatorzine Neko
not 2004. from 2006 to 2008
BB
BBI45
EA
Earlie37
Looking at the video, the level of consistency is outstanding. Apart from the a region caption in capitals, slightly different backcloth lighting and Corsica doing it's own thing, you'd be hard pushed to tell any differences.

The whole rebranding has been very impressive and shows what can be achieved when it's done well. It's a pity that the BBC can't afford or have the urge to do this with their output again. It certainly strengthens and creates a coherent brand which has pride in itself.
WW
WW Update
Looking at the video, the level of consistency is outstanding. Apart from the a region caption in capitals, slightly different backcloth lighting and Corsica doing it's own thing, you'd be hard pushed to tell any differences.

Indeed. Corsica is a bit different because their edition of 12/13 is bilingual; the first part is in Corsican, while the second is in French.

We haven't seen Soir 3 since the relaunch:

WW
WW Update
Two more observations about the regional 12/30 intros in BBI45's post:

* I'm pretty sure that the Burgundy edition is the only newscast in the world with "escargot" in the title sequence. Wink

* I find it strange that the Cote D'Azur intro mentions Monaco, which is its own country and therefore not a part of France. (Yes, people in Monaco watch France 3, but so do people in, say, Belgium and Switzerland.)
LL
London Lite Founding member

* I find it strange that the Cote D'Azur intro mentions Monaco, which is its own country and therefore not a part of France. (Yes, people in Monaco watch France 3, but so do people in, say, Belgium and Switzerland.)

Considering TMC has minimal PSB requirements for Monaco since TF1 bought out the country's share in the channel, I'm not surprised that France 3 covers it editorially unlike Belgium and Switzerland which have national or regional channels. Monaco doesn't have that with TMC basically being another TF1 spin-off instead of being the national channel.
WW
WW Update

Considering TMC has minimal PSB requirements for Monaco since TF1 bought out the country's share in the channel, I'm not surprised that France 3 covers it editorially unlike Belgium and Switzerland which have national or regional channels. Monaco doesn't have that with TMC basically being another TF1 spin-off instead of being the national channel.

Good point, but then again, the people of Monaco don't pay the French license fee -- or any license fee for that matter. Does France 3 provide regular coverage of the country?
DV
dvboy
Monaco is so small, with much of the border in urban areas, it would be impossible not to cover it.

Many places that describe themselves as being in Monte-Carlo aren't actually in Monaco, for example the tennis club where the Monte-Carlo Masters is played is actually in France.
CI
cityprod

This level of consistency is easy these days when you are doing a simple copy-paste type open, which unfortunately is what this is. It's completely copy-paste, it has little in either the titles or the set to distinguish individual regions. It looks way too samey, and that's not a good thing.

Quote:
The whole rebranding has been very impressive and shows what can be achieved when it's done well. It's a pity that the BBC can't afford or have the urge to do this with their output again. It certainly strengthens and creates a coherent brand which has pride in itself.

You see, I don't agree with this at all. I agree with it being impressive, after all, it's quite an achievement to launch 20 or so new sets all at once, that takes a huge amount of planning, but frankly, being little more than a copy-paste brand, doesn't make it great, it just makes it lazy. The BBC's brand is very corporate, but each region has its own character within that corporate style, much better than having every studio set be exactly the same, every title sequence be almost exactly the same etcetera.

For the national service, it's a very clean and crisp design which looks great, but the fact that every regional studio has exactly the same look, exactly the same feel, makes me feel that the regional studios have somewhat detracted from how good the national studio looks, and makes everything feel bland in the process.
WW
WW Update

This level of consistency is easy these days when you are doing a simple copy-paste type open, which unfortunately is what this is. It's completely copy-paste, it has little in either the titles or the set to distinguish individual regions. It looks way too samey, and that's not a good thing.

But the landmarks in the opens (and the set backgrounds) are all different. Surely that reflects each region's identity to a certain extent?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/az2si/f3regions1a_zpsffwueu2c.png

Here's a short discussion about the new look from Europe 1 radio:

Last edited by WW Update on 7 February 2018 10:43pm
Hazimworks and London Lite gave kudos

Newer posts