TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AG
AxG
The yellow BBC logo next to the scoreboard changed style in second half of the Wales vs Scotland 6 Nations game. In the first half it had the old glass style effect and was smaller, in the second half the box surrounding the BBC logo is bigger and flat. Sadly can't do a screenshot comparison. Looks like someone put up the old/wrong one in the first half.

DE88, bkman1990 and paul_hadley gave kudos
WO
Worzel
AxG posted:
The yellow BBC logo next to the scoreboard changed style in second half of the Wales vs Scotland 6 Nations game. In the first half it had the old glass style effect and was smaller, in the second half the box surrounding the BBC logo is bigger and flat. Sadly can't do a screenshot comparison. Looks like someone put up the old/wrong one in the first half.

Thanks. Clearly first half they were using the old style yellow BBC box. Hats off to whoever noticed the little mistake, if only the other BBC departments were so sharp at correcting their branding mistakes so quickly!
AN
Ant
I feel the old logo worked better with the world feed graphics.

Shame the BBC can't use their own style. The time and score not lining up with the team names look a bit off to me too.
GE
thegeek Founding member

Thanks. Clearly first half they were using the old style yellow BBC box. Hats off to whoever noticed the little mistake, if only the other BBC departments were so sharp at correcting their branding mistakes so quickly!

I think I might have to be the person to point out to my friends at the the BBC that they've got the old Gill Sans logo on the office door at the IBC in PyeongChang...
BK
bkman1990
I found some stills to compare from the Six Nations via TV3 on Saorview & BBC One HD on Satellite in Ireland.

The trick here is find out how many numbers can you see & count on the players jerseys from the Wales vs Scotland game.

TV3 - Saorview. (Image below)

BBC One HD - Satellite. (Image below)

Do you see what we are talking about now if you discussing differences between the Irish & British coverage?
HA
harshy Founding member
It looks better flat, but it looks rather small compared to the rest of the scoreboard.l bits.

Doesn't help they're taking the World feed graphics/scoreboard/font which makes everything look a bit 'off'.

Looks weird with the old style world graphics, maybe in the minimum that should have been changed to Reith at least.
RD
rdd Founding member
I’m not sure the general public in Ireland are as bothered about the TV3 HD (or lack thereof on Saorview) thing. TV3 is HD on all pay TV platforms, which is how the vast majority in Ireland receive their TV.

Anyway it’s Super Bowl Sunday in the States and this week the NFL announced a new rights deal for Thursday Night Football. Now TNF is an odd one in that, unlike most rights deals it’s not a straight sale of the rights. The deal requires the TV rights holders to produce 18 games (only 15 of which are actually on Thursdays), but they can only air, on a non-exclusive basis, 11 of them. All 18 games are aired on NFL Network and the NFL can also sell the rights again for streaming. It’s probably a testimony to the power of the NFL in TV sports that they’ve convinced broadcasters that this arrangement is worthwhile.

Currently NBC and CBS share the package but next season it moves to Fox as the sole partner.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/FOX-SPORTS-REACHES-FIVE-YEAR-RIGHTS-AGREEMENT-WITH-NFL-TO-BROADCAST--THURSDAY-NIGHT-FOOTBALL-PRESENTED-BY-BUD-LIGHT.aspx
RK
Rkolsen
rdd posted:
I’m not sure the general public in Ireland are as bothered about the TV3 HD (or lack thereof on Saorview) thing. TV3 is HD on all pay TV platforms, which is how the vast majority in Ireland receive their TV.

Anyway it’s Super Bowl Sunday in the States and this week the NFL announced a new rights deal for Thursday Night Football. Now TNF is an odd one in that, unlike most rights deals it’s not a straight sale of the rights. The deal requires the TV rights holders to produce 18 games (only 15 of which are actually on Thursdays), but they can only air, on a non-exclusive basis, 11 of them. All 18 games are aired on NFL Network and the NFL can also sell the rights again for streaming. It’s probably a testimony to the power of the NFL in TV sports that they’ve convinced broadcasters that this arrangement is worthwhile.

Currently NBC and CBS share the package but next season it moves to Fox as the sole partner.

https://nflcommunications.com/Pages/FOX-SPORTS-REACHES-FIVE-YEAR-RIGHTS-AGREEMENT-WITH-NFL-TO-BROADCAST--THURSDAY-NIGHT-FOOTBALL-PRESENTED-BY-BUD-LIGHT.aspx

The games not broadcast network wide air on the local Fox affiliates of each respective team. That was the case during the CBS and NBC years.
RD
rdd Founding member
Indeed, and a similar arrangement applies to Monday Night Football, the rights to which are held by pay TV channel ESPN.
MY
MY83
rdd posted:
MY83 posted:
BBC 2 Wales had Six Nations official gfx for the Women's match between Wales and Scotland, but are now using BBC house graphics for the U20 game.

RTE do that too - presume the Women’s comes under the ambit of the Six Nations Committee but the U20’s doesn’t?.

I don't even know if all U20 matches are televised, so it's probably just left up to the individual areas to produce their own coverage as and when the games are staged. For example I can't see the France U20s v England U20s match anywhere on Sky Sports' TV guide, so perhaps the local broadcaster isn't doing any coverage - at least not on traditional broadcast TV anyway; it may be live streamed.
JO
Jon
Italy vs England U20 game was streamed live on YouTube it seems.
CH
chinamug
rdd posted:

I have to say that you'd be misjudging the mood of many. 10% of Households are Saorview only, another 25% have access to UK TV either via Freeview or Freesat. That's 35% of the population who can't access TV3 HD. It's a big Change from last year when RTE2 HD could be accessed by practically anyone who wanted it. Having said that almost anyone I know who was watching the Rugby yesterday watched it on BBC and only turned on TV3 when BBC coverage finished. It was probably the right choice when you consider TV3 missed the Kickoff of Wales/Scotland because they were running ads.

Whats bizarre is that if TV3 was available on HD in Saorview land it would give them a huge viewership boost as those that watched on BBC would have been very likely to stick with the Irish Broadcaster for an Irish event.

Newer posts