TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Has anyone else noticed how often Corrie is preceeded by the "meerkats" ITV Idents- to be immediately followed by the "compare the meerkat" sponsor bumper.
AG
AxG
From the coffee talk on the last page:
https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/co-op-costa-coronation-street-itvs-biggest-product-placement-deal/1455802
As well as the fully-branded facades, which will appear this spring, the show will feature other assets such as posters, bags and cups.

The deal will also allow the two brands to use Coronation Street assets off-air.

Mark Trinder, sales director at ITV, said: "The expansion of the Coronation Street set has given us a great opportunity to feature branded shop facades as more of Weatherfield is opened up to viewers.

"Incorporating product placement on this scale is something we have wanted to do for some time and we’re delighted with this exciting opportunity. We’ve worked really closely with the Coronation Street team to make sure we’ve got a great brand fit for Co-op and Costa Coffee with the nation’s favourite soap while still ensuring editorial integrity."

For the Co-op, the deal comes after last year’s launch of a marketing platform that talked up the retailer’s community credentials by profiling some of the local organisations it supports.

Alison Jones, customer director at Co-op, said: "Coronation Street is all about community life and the Co-op is a retailer at the heart of local life and being close to the customer, which makes this a perfect match."

Coronation Street has been broadcast on ITV continually since 1960. It remains one of the most watched programmes on UK TV, with the episode of Friday 19 January attracted a consolidated audience of 8.58 million – the second highest audience of that week, after BBC One’s Call the Midwife.

It became the first peak time TV show to feature product placement in 2011, when a Nationwide ATM was installed inside Dev Alahan's shop.

Read more at https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/co-op-costa-coronation-street-itvs-biggest-product-placement-deal/1455802#OIy0YHjvTz2k56LP.99
RE
Revolution
Today's second episode on ITV3 (22/6/87) is the first we've had in a while that's had the static end credits and Granada endcap electronically generated rather than from actual cards- still physical End Of Part One/Part Two captions though. It seems there was a period during mid-1986 where they used electronically generated captions, then after a few months going back to the physical ones (apart from the scrolling credits).

Seems strange to me that they'd still be using cardboard captions as late as 1987!

I saw that today, I love the difference between the old cliff hangers, like today was Sarah Lou crying and one of Gail's fellas said to Brian I'll go and sort her out Laughing

Does anyone else think some of the locations on the set need a bit of a sort out? Jamila House we haven't seen for a good while then it popped back up tonight, I just think it is a bit of a pointless location.

The Gym I thought was a good idea and that seemed to go bust and we have never seen the location again since Rob was hiding in there.

Also wasn't Dev meant to buy the Chippy a few months back? we never see that and I know he is meant to be old fashioned but I wouldn't fancy gong to a Roy's Rolls type cafe for lunch. Razz

It's bizarre how Carla and Aidan are willing to spend money to buy a roof. Wouldn't they be better off exploring the opportunity of buying the gym and redoing it as a factory? All it needs is a lick of paint.

Re ITV3 reruns, I know times have changed but it's nice to see characters sitting down together, having a meal and talking about their problems. Corrie today depends on a lot of secrecy, so it's refreshing the only instance of subterfuge is mild-mannered Alan Bradley planning a secret wedding at the registry office. He is a keeper. Smile

And I wish they would bring back the old theme. How I miss the 'end of part one' sting.
Spencer, DJ Dave and DE88 gave kudos
DA
davidhorman

It's bizarre how Carla and Aidan are willing to spend money to buy a roof.

It was bizarre that someone stole it in the first place, so eh.
DA
davidhorman
There's the BBC's story on the product placement deal:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42876809

Quote:
An ITV spokeswoman said they wouldn't threaten Weatherfield's existing Roy's Rolls cafe, The Kabin or Dev's shops

Not very realistic...
AN
Andrew Founding member

Quote:
An ITV spokeswoman said they wouldn't threaten Weatherfield's existing Roy's Rolls cafe, The Kabin or Dev's shops

Not very realistic...

Because in theory they’ve always been there, just that we’ve never stepped foot on those streets and seen them before.

On that note, certain tabloids are already running with the line that viewers are worried about Dev and Roy. Obviously sourced from one or two jokey tweets.
JA
james-2001
We saw Susan Barlow with a co-op bag in the 1987 ITV3 episodes, so maybe we can assume it's been there that long Wink
JA
JAS84

Quote:

Not very realistic...
Yes it is. Dev's shop is too small for the Co-Op. Their shop is probably supposed to replace Bettabuy's/Freshco's. They haven't used that for years.
DA
davidhorman
JAS84 posted:

Not very realistic...
Yes it is. Dev's shop is too small for the Co-Op. Their shop is probably supposed to replace Bettabuy's/Freshco's. They haven't used that for years.

I was thinking more in terms of stealing customers, but if it's round a corner and a road or two away I doubt it'll make much difference. No-one from outside the street ever goes to Dev's anyway. They must get through a hell of a lot of biscuits at the cab office.
MR
mr_vivian
Roy's Rolls will be much cheaper than Costa and it has better gossip than posh Costa so there won't be any worries there xD
GO
gottago
JAS84 posted:

Not very realistic...

I was thinking more in terms of stealing customers, but if it's round a corner and a road or two away I doubt it'll make much difference. No-one from outside the street ever goes to Dev's anyway. They must get through a hell of a lot of biscuits at the cab office.

Doubt they'd reference the brands nicking customers as they don't want their sponsors looking like evil corporations!
JO
Jonwo
I suspect it'll be limited to characters holding Costa cups and carrying Co-Ops rather than characters actively going to Costa and asking for a hot chocolate or a Latte.

Product Placement in the UK is pretty restrictive compared to the US so it's unlikely we'll have a repeat of the Hawaii Five-0 Subway plug for Costa or Co-Op

Newer posts