TV Home Forum

The Big Breakfast

Where life used to start at 7. (January 2014)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
AN
Andrew Founding member
It's every bit as bad as I remember it. Muted and lethargic.

The other clip of the ending is even worse, with all the presenters talking all over the top of each other at the end, nobody really leading it, just all saying whatever came into their head.
JB
JasonB
More Tea Vicar and a Friday song from the 11th September 1998. The Friday Song, watch Johnny and Denise avoid the last line about Jordan (Katie Price) on the final verse of the song.

DJ
DJGM

More Tea Vicar and a Friday song from the 11th September 1998. The Friday Song, watch Johnny
and Denise avoid the last line about Jordan (Katie Price) on the final verse of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VF14SpVh6o

That really was The Big Breakfast at its best, (since the Chris & Gaby era). Hard to believe that clip was almost twenty years ago!
BR
Brekkie
Scary isn't it - I'd definately agree 1998 was the show at it's peak for me, though the Johnny and Liza year wasn't far behind.
DJ
DJGM
I've played the Johnny & Denise version of Especially For You at least once on my weekly broadcast on hospital radio!

(Details of the hospital radio gig in my signature ... the radio station is currently in the process of upgrading the playout system (Myriad v3.6 to v5) so things are not quite right yet! So my next broadcast - later today at 4-6pm - might be a bit unpredictable!)
JB
JasonB
DJGM posted:
I've played the Johnny & Denise version of Especially For You at least once on my weekly broadcast on hospital radio!

(Details of the hospital radio gig in my signature ... the radio station is currently in the process of upgrading the playout system (Myriad v3.6 to v5) so things are not quite right yet! So my next broadcast - later today at 4-6pm - might be a bit unpredictable!)

Wasn’t there an American station that regularly played the Friday song too or am I imagining reading about that?
WH
Whataday Founding member
That era of The Big Breakfast would probably have survived on YouTube clips going viral alone these days, even if the ratings weren't anywhere near its heyday.
WH
Whataday Founding member
More Tea Vicar and a Friday song from the 11th September 1998. The Friday Song, watch Johnny and Denise avoid the last line about Jordan (Katie Price) on the final verse of the song.

I don't think she avoids it for any reason other than she can't fit it into the melody. I can't either!
JB
JasonB

I don't think she avoids it for any reason other than she can't fit it into the melody. I can't either!

I notice from these early one's that they're singing off cue cards instead of the clip boards like in later years resulting in some odd camera angles on Johnny and Denise.
WH
Whataday Founding member

I notice from these early one's that they're singing off cue cards instead of the clip boards like in later years resulting in some odd camera angles on Johnny and Denise.

I don't know if that's a Friday Song thing specifically because in the video of the earlier part of that show they're using cue cards for the opening link too.

Perhaps something they tried out for a bit?
JB
JasonB
Might be worth keeping an eye out on this channel. Up next from TV Gold is the Find Me A Weather Presenter final from July 2000:

WH
Whataday Founding member
That opening shot of the house with the sunrise is beautiful. Presumably shot using the homemade jib they made for The Biggest Breakfast Ever.

Last edited by Whataday on 24 January 2018 12:03am - 2 times in total

Newer posts