ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BE
Bert75
I loved lwt the channel was amazing and the idents channel gone for ever
KE
kernow
So it won't be that long until ITV move out of South Bank....

However, when they do move back in, I doubt they'll produce a fabulous promo like this one from LWT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuQg1Jr2fE

I wonder if they'll make a programme to mark the closure of the studios, like they did when the old Granada studios closed.

Something tells me they won't, given that they're only being redeveloped, rather than being closed down and relocated. Probably won't even get a mention on ITV News London either, given that it comes from ITN, rather than the London Studios. Having said that, they did cover the closure of Fountain Studios, so you never know!
GO
gottago
So it won't be that long until ITV move out of South Bank....

However, when they do move back in, I doubt they'll produce a fabulous promo like this one from LWT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAuQg1Jr2fE

I wonder if they'll make a programme to mark the closure of the studios, like they did when the old Granada studios closed.

Something tells me they won't, given that they're only being redeveloped, rather than being closed down and relocated. Probably won't even get a mention on ITV News London either, given that it comes from ITN, rather than the London Studios. Having said that, they did cover the closure of Fountain Studios, so you never know!

I believe there's an Ant and Dec special planned for the closure, presumably it won't be dissimilar to the Peter Kay Granada one.
LL
Larry the Loafer
Granada was completely shut down though. They'll eventually return to TLS, won't they? (Sorry if this is completely wrong, I haven't been following this for ages)
AN
Andrew Founding member
I wonder if itv will be rebranded when the studios reopen

I wonder
I loved lwt the channel was amazing and the idents channel gone for ever

Yes they are
Araminta Kane, Spencer and dbl gave kudos
DJ
DJGM
AFAIK ... Old Granada Studios has reopened for production use since ITV moved its remaining Manchester operations to Salford Quays.

Meanwhile, as I asked previously in the GMB thread ... has ITV got (or when did ITV get) planning permission to redevelop the TLS site?
KE
kernow
DJGM posted:
Meanwhile, as I asked previously in the GMB thread ... has ITV got (or when did ITV get) planning permission to redevelop the TLS site?

From the planning application on the Westminster city council website, it's not actually clear if they've got planning permission yet. Under decision, it says "no comment":

http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=OZ5G8ZRP27O00&activeTab=summary
DJ
DJGM
Judging by that document, a decision has been made. Seems strange the decision hasn't been made public yet. I don't know how the planning permission applications process works, especially for projects like this, although I would assume it differs between each council. In this case, I guess there is a fixed amount of time between the decision being made and it being publicly announced.

Supposing ITV had the planning permission for the TLS redevelopment refused, and any appeal by ITV also turned down, what would happen next? I guess they would have alternate plans to at least internally refurbish and upgrade the existing studios and facilities.
WH
Whataday Founding member
Granada was completely shut down though. They'll eventually return to TLS, won't they? (Sorry if this is completely wrong, I haven't been following this for ages)

The whole site is being demolished, with a brand new HQ for ITV built in its place. The London Studios are not getting replaced - there will only be some small studios to service ITV Daytime.

They'd be foolish not to factor in the possibility of running ITV News from the HQ at some point in the future, so I wonder if there are any provisions for this (rather than have to retrofit facilities.
EG
eggsontoast
DJGM posted:
Judging by that document, a decision has been made. Seems strange the decision hasn't been made public yet. I don't know how the planning permission applications process works, especially for projects like this, although I would assume it differs between each council. In this case, I guess there is a fixed amount of time between the decision being made and it being publicly announced.

The planning authority is Lambeth not Westminster - reference 17/03986/FUL
It is currently showing as Awaiting Decision. As a very prominent site it could take longer than the normal guidelines for a kitchen extension. Revised plans were submitted fairly recently and stakeholders need time to review and comment. Not a done deal yet.
DJ
DJGM

DJGM posted:

The planning authority is Lambeth not Westminster - reference 17/03986/FUL
It is currently showing as Awaiting Decision. As a very prominent site it could take longer than the
normal guidelines for a kitchen extension. Revised plans were submitted fairly recently and
stakeholders need time to review and comment. Not a done deal yet.

I thought it was strange City of Westminster Council handling the planning decisions for the TLS redevelopment project. I seem to recall a fair while back there was discussion on this forum about ITV wanting to put a large illuminated ITV logo sign at the top of Kent House and getting the planning permission turned down by Lambeth Council.
WH
Whataday Founding member
DJGM posted:

I have some experience in planning applications and generally it's a fairly open process, so if it had been granted we would know by now. Generally this silence means there's some to-ing and fro-ing between the applicant and the authority.

From docs I've read, there have been objections to the scheme by Mayor Of London. While they are enthusiastic about ITV building a shiny new base on the south bank, there are some parts of the scheme that don't altogether fit in with their "London Plan"

For instance, ITV has proposed that 10% of the apartments will be affordable housing. MOL would prefer nearer 40%. Now, 40% may seem unrealistic in that location, but what could happen is a trade-off whereby ITV agree to provide affordable accommodation on another site nearby. MOL have also asked ITV to propose a contribution to improve certain local amenities in order to allow for the increased number of residents the new block would bring.

Initially the new complex was designed to have some sort of integration with Garden Bridge which would have been right next to it. From what I can understand, the This Morning studio was meant to overlook it, but now the bridge is kaput, ITV have kind of patched up the proposed integration into something MOL want rethinking.

Finally, MOL is concerned about the demolition of the three main studios and the effect it'll have on television production in the capital. ITV have argued that the closure coincides with the opening of TVC and Riverside and these will accommodate the displaced shows. MOL is not entirely satisfied with this (it would rather be growing the industry than just about scraping the same square metres of studio space). Basically MOL have said, if this new HQ is going to be a hub for media production, this could cause an increase in demand for studio space and ITV shouldn't be caught short. They've been encouraged to engage with Film London to explore the options should this happen (such as investing in some studio facilities elsewhere in London and hiring them).

So yeah, ITV has its work cut out.

Newer posts