The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TV
TVViewer256
Bail posted:
EastEngland, TellyFreak/SkyGeek, did you know there are, literally hundreds of other threads on this forum? I suggest you both take a break from this one for a while, before it's made mandatory.

You can speculate over my identity all you like. It remains the case that you've got somebody here who seemingly constantly shouts the odds and tells people what to do according to what he thinks the rules should be rather than what you, the mods, think they should be the moment anyone dares question his method of discourse. It's tedious, and it does distract, so I tried to add a little humour. That didn't work, so at a certain point, you just have to shrug your shoulders. I'm not going to tell you how to do your job - I just know that one user is taking up more than their fair share of oxygen, and whether or not you're going to do anything about it, it shouldn't be off limits to say: "Nobody will mind if you take yourself a little less seriously, especially if you let somebody else have a turn with the talking stick once in a while ."

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
AS
Asa Admin
They are definitely not

Confident but wrong.

Max, we went through all this in 2017. For the sake of my sanity I'm not going to do it again in 2018. Either you stop pulling members up on their posts or you'll be banned. You left of your own accord requesting your account to be deactivated after making your feelings about this site very clear so I'm not really sure why you returned.
TE
tellyfreak501
Asa posted:
They are definitely not

Confident but wrong.

Max, we went through all this in 2017. For the sake of my sanity I'm not going to do it again in 2018. Either you stop pulling members up on their posts or you'll be banned. You left of your own accord requesting your account to be deactivated after making your feelings about this site very clear so I'm not really sure why you returned.

Have you taken complete leave of your self-awareness? The very reason I've vented my spleen is that that is precisely what another is doing every damn time someone dares say boo too a goose.

Whether you're right or wrong about my identify, shouldn't it come down to an issue of free speech? It would if you had any idea what you were doing, but you don't, so go ahead and ban me and enjoy your little bit of power.

By the way, Max says you're an industry joke.
SK
skyviewer
I must say I was really looking forward to something special but they've just reverted to that boring old glass box and havn't even updated the TOTH music! Sky News has lost it's pzazz from years ago...my favorite package I must admit and era being around 2004 when Chris Roberts & Juliette Foster were presenting and the really loud and garish in ya face graphics along with the really cool punchy newsy music! Maybe they are saving themselves for the 30th anniversary on Feb 5th 2019?....That is of course...if Trump.....who Mr Murdoch loves so much....hasn't pressed his big red button which of course is much bigger than Kim Jong Un's!!!

LetΒ΄s just wait and see what happens in the next few weeks. There are increasingly hints as to an upcoming graphics refresh, not least due to the new promo. Also the new sky news logo in the new studio has the newly designed background as the SSN logo has. It may well be that there are new lower thirds, music and ToTH in the nearer future!
BBSUPERFAN, Stuart and EastEngland gave kudos
VM
VMPhil

You'll have to try harder than that. The BBC called us "geeks who should get a life" about 12 years ago!
CI
cityprod

You'll have to try harder than that. The BBC called us "geeks who should get a life" about 12 years ago!

The broadcasting industry is very harsh on anyone who does anything related to it, without getting paid for it. They consider Hospital and Community radio volunteers as worthy only of denigration. TV presentation enthusaists and jingle fans are even lower down the totem pole.
Stuart, Rkolsen and Bail gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Getting back on topic, is Naill paterson only here until May? Could we see Sophy Ridge sunday show using the new studio 6?

Niall Patterson on Sunday today showed what I suspected would be a problem - any more than two guests in the glass box and it looks overcrowded.

LL
London Lite Founding member
I can't see Sophy coming back until after the Summer recess in September.
BK
bkman1990
Whenever I think about Sky News in the present day; it's a shame in this day & age that this channel has been reduced to something that is bland & underwhelming even for the casual viewer. In today's era after the new studio launched on Tuesday; Sky News is now a different animal to what it's become after they had their superb presentation from 2005. The standard of journalism today at Sky News is still pretty good. But the process of trying to present it on screen in an adequate way is still hit with presentation issues after day 1 in it's new home. If the employees at Sky News a high amount of training in learning how to use the new technology. They should have been ironed out either weeks or months before their new studio was launched.

Why were these mistakes at Sky News still remain unresolved to this day is still another mystery?

Although since the new studio launched there has been some improvements noted from The Glass Box, the use of Millbank studio & the new distinct title cards for the bulletins, the lower third graphics. Their VR green screen, by looking at the photographs, is by far the worst ever element of their new presentation as it looks absolutely awful.

If I would give a rating to BBC News & ITV News for them using VR in their new bulletins. My top 3 without a doubt would be like this.

1st place - ITV News
2nd place - BBC News
3rd place - Sky News

I will mention another point about the Sky News logo on the SD channel being blurry.

If anyone can see Sky News HD on a subscription; How is the logo in HD? Does it look better than in SD?
NJ
news junkie
Thing is, though, you can rehearse for weeks, months, years and offer all the training in the world but you won't properly know how it works until you are using it live. Arguably it is like driving a car, the real learning happens once you pass your test.

I always thought it was risky that Sky chose election night to often relaunch their graphics packages, but it always seemed to work. I think.

I personally prefer the glass box to Sky News Centre, I may be in the minority, but you're right - news presentation has evolved so much since 2005 and there's more elements to take into account now.
:-(
A former member

If I would give a rating to BBC News & ITV News for them using VR in their new bulletins. My top 3 without a doubt would be like this.

1st place - ITV News
2nd place - BBC News
3rd place - Sky News

Oh come off it. BBC News are *awful* at VR.
RK
Rkolsen

The broadcasting industry is very harsh on anyone who does anything related to it, without getting paid for it. They consider Hospital and Community radio volunteers as worthy only of denigration. TV presentation enthusaists and jingle fans are even lower down the totem pole.

I am sure you’ve seen the posts on Twitter that are posted about this place by some prominent staff members. It’s just an honest discussion here where people try to figure out what happened or what went wrong.

Newer posts