TV Home Forum

Coronation Street

Costa & Coop p68: Repeats on ITV3: Are there too many spoilers? (June 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
VM
VMPhil
Sometimes it doesn't work if you've uploaded it to Metropol and have it set to 'public'. Try this version which I've set to 'private' and so gives it a random URL. Not re-encoded or anything, just downloaded the original file and reuploaded it.

ST
Stuart
It's odd how that VT Clock still has the Granada logo used in the 1950s/60s.
JA
james-2001
It's odd how that VT Clock still has the Granada logo used in the 1950s/60s.

If you read my post, you'd see how I explained how on most episodes there's a newer Granada logo stuck over it- but it had clearly peeled off on that episode.
DJ
DJ Dave
Anyone know when we will get to see the new parts of the set on screen? and are they actually finished yet?

Plus I think it's about time we got some updated titles as I'm sure the current lot were shot on the Quay Street set?
JA
james-2001
No, they replaced the shots of the street the same time as the move to media city.
JA
james-2001
Just watched a 1978 episode, where strangely there's a quick flash of film countdown leader just before the VT clock (being help up in the middle of the factory set- where the first scene of part two is set) appears. There is filmed location work in the episode, but not immediately either side of the ad break, so I wonder why there's a film leader running.
KP
KelpieP0921
It's interesting though when I've been on holiday in the US and watching episodes of their soaps, how they feel like they still have the production standards ours did in the 70s, being mostly studio based (even scenes that are meant to be "outdoors" being quite obviously done in a studio- something you haven't seen in UK soaps for decades, not really even in the 70s) and feeling very stagey. Our soaps are almost like Hollywood movies in comparison, even 1977 Corrie feels like it has higher production values than a 2017 episode of General Hospital at times.

While still a far lower budget to the UK Soaps - Out of all the US ones The Bold and The Beautiful has stepped up location far more and generally are abroad once or twice a year now (Paris, Monaco, Amsterdam, Australia etc in recent years - latter two has huge fan base). The 30 minute (or 18 without ads) format helps too with pacing etc. Big 'stunts' car crashes etc are still pretty brutally awful (indoor car set, camera swerve pan and black out picture job) but they've done some semi-decent green screen stuff. However it is a lunchtime programme (Although probably Doctors has a bigger budget - but I'd say stories are very dry and slow from what I've seen).

Used to watch GH when on ABC1 back in the day. I can't sit by the hour long US soaps while gotten a bit better (GH & Y&R anyway) they are so slow compared to Bold.

However - this 2001 classic is still a real gem of the low budget cliffhanger (character lived btw!)
JA
james-2001
Just seen this beauty on a 1978 episode- someone places the "Part Two" card over the "End of Part One" one!

JA
JAS84
lol, looks like it should've cut out a second or so sooner.
SC
Si-Co
JAS84 posted:
lol, looks like it should've cut out a second or so sooner.

Or, as discussed above, been left well alone for at least ten seconds.
JA
james-2001
I presume it wouldn't have been broadcast though!
JA
james-2001
Today's second episode on ITV3 (22/6/87) is the first we've had in a while that's had the static end credits and Granada endcap electronically generated rather than from actual cards- still physical End Of Part One/Part Two captions though. It seems there was a period during mid-1986 where they used electronically generated captions, then after a few months going back to the physical ones (apart from the scrolling credits).

Seems strange to me that they'd still be using cardboard captions as late as 1987!

Newer posts