The Newsroom

Sky News | General Discussion

(January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JW
JamesWorldNews
I rather enjoyed the James Rubin foray into live news.
Live at five with Jeremy gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
Unfortunately we are not in 2004 anymore. The way people get their news has changed. In my opinion, Sky News the channel is heading for closure. This move recently is part of a long “game”. The channel is being stripped away peice by peice. I suspect the channel will be gone within five years. I hope I am wrong. That doesn’t mean Sky News will be gone. And Disney I can’t see keeping it for long either. It would not make sense! It’s a shame but it is what it is.

I think you're wrong about the Sky News channel being gone in 5 years. However, I forsee it changing quite substantially. Outside of a shortened Sunrise, you'll see news bulletins at the top of the hour, and feature programming at the bottom of the hour. The kind of long form news programming that we see these days on Sky News will disappear.

You might see documentary series, stand alone documentaries, sports highlights, or programmes about style or technology, or various other programmes that would fit the half hour format.

Even factoring in repeats though I suspect creating content for that back half hour would probably work out more expensive than just running live.
CI
cityprod
Unfortunately we are not in 2004 anymore. The way people get their news has changed. In my opinion, Sky News the channel is heading for closure. This move recently is part of a long “game”. The channel is being stripped away peice by peice. I suspect the channel will be gone within five years. I hope I am wrong. That doesn’t mean Sky News will be gone. And Disney I can’t see keeping it for long either. It would not make sense! It’s a shame but it is what it is.

I think you're wrong about the Sky News channel being gone in 5 years. However, I forsee it changing quite substantially. Outside of a shortened Sunrise, you'll see news bulletins at the top of the hour, and feature programming at the bottom of the hour. The kind of long form news programming that we see these days on Sky News will disappear.

You might see documentary series, stand alone documentaries, sports highlights, or programmes about style or technology, or various other programmes that would fit the half hour format.

Even factoring in repeats though I suspect creating content for that back half hour would probably work out more expensive than just running live.

I don't know that it would though. Some great documentary series including The Tube have been produced on a skeleton crew and budget. NHK produce some incredible documentaries for NHK World, and they can't be making those on much more than basic budgets with skeleton crews.

The other thing to factor in, is as sports rights get more expensive, the need to re-use material to get the money's worth out of the rights will become overwhelming, so half-hour highlights packages may become a thing as well, maybe a day or more after the live coverage airs on Sky Sports.
EE
EastEngland
To be honest we've slowly seen a move to more filler programs and documentaries over the last year or so anyway - over December and the first half of January for instance there was a lot of the same old documentaries being shown every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

Today Trumps first year is on at 6.30pm, Hotspots is on again at 9pm, like it did yesterday and The Pledge is now being shown four times a week (8pm Thursday, midnight Friday/Saturday, Saturday afternoons and Sunday evenings.

It's certainly heading towards less wall to wall news coverage.
bkman1990, richard h and cityprod gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
They always have aired more pre-recorded stuff over Christmas though and there has been a little bit extra over the last week in preparation for the move. Quite true though they are less afraid to dip away from rolling news coverage.

Back to the studios and are the weekend arrangements broadly the same as on weekdays - i.e. new studio for Sunrise, glassbox for most of the rest of the day?
EE
EastEngland
Of course - but we're seeing more now - I can only remember The Pledge being on twice a week before and from what I can see with the new series it's now four times. Sundays between 7.30pm and 10pm there is only half an hour of news coverage. Rest is The Pledge, Sportsline and Niall Patterson on Sunday highlights.

Hotspots is weird, it's not altogether clear if it's a regular series (and if so when new episodes air) the episode numbers don't even appear on Sky Q, it seems yesterdays episode was a new one but the first new one for some weeks after showing the same old episode time and time again.

Have we seen them break into these programmes before for breaking news?

The Glass Box hasn't been in use all day from what I've seen (but I've not saw every hour or anything like it) I'll be curious what is going to be done tonight for the Press Preview and if they will be back there.
Last edited by EastEngland on 20 January 2018 6:29pm - 2 times in total
:-(
A former member
The pledge appeared last night at 00.00, the glass box hasn't been used all day today.
SK
skyviewer
I really like the new kind of backgrounds in the new studio, shame they don't (yet) use it for the big screen in the glass box.
RH
richard h
Tom just got replaced with a white screen after the headlines in the 7pm hour. It was only briefly but it just looks a mess and most of these issues they are taking longer to be sorted now its automated...When Tom Rayner got replaced with the sky news logo this morning it stayed on screen until they cut back to Stephen and Gillian in the studio
RH
richard h
Of course - but we're seeing more now - I can only remember The Pledge being on twice a week before and from what I can see with the new series it's now four times. Sundays between 7.30pm and 10pm there is only half an hour of news coverage. Rest is The Pledge, Sportsline and Niall Patterson on Sunday highlights.

Hotspots is weird, it's not altogether clear if it's a regular series (and if so when new episodes air) the episode numbers don't even appear on Sky Q, it seems yesterdays episode was a new one but the first new one for some weeks after showing the same old episode time and time again.

Have we seen them break into these programmes before for breaking news?

The Glass Box hasn't been in use all day from what I've seen (but I've not saw every hour or anything like it) I'll be curious what is going to be done tonight for the Press Preview and if they will be back there.

I agree about Sundays. I don't bother with Sky news on sunday evenings for the reasons you said above

Also less effort seems to be going into the overnight coverage now repeating the 23:30 press preview at the bottom of most hours
BF
BFGArmy
To be honest we've slowly seen a move to more filler programs and documentaries over the last year or so anyway - over December and the first half of January for instance there was a lot of the same old documentaries being shown every day, sometimes multiple times a day.

Today Trumps first year is on at 6.30pm, Hotspots is on again at 9pm, like it did yesterday and The Pledge is now being shown four times a week (8pm Thursday, midnight Friday/Saturday, Saturday afternoons and Sunday evenings

It's certainly heading towards less wall to wall news coverage.

That said most hours you can still expect a full hour of news on the hour. I think Sky does much better than most news channels with the filler programmes.

Certainly it's nowhere near as bad as say CNN International can be on weekends where if you time it badly bar headlines updates you're left waiting hours for another news bulletin.
EE
EastEngland
Tom just got replaced with a white screen after the headlines in the 7pm hour. It was only briefly but it just looks a mess and most of these issues they are taking longer to be sorted now its automated...When Tom Rayner got replaced with the sky news logo this morning it stayed on screen until they cut back to Stephen and Gillian in the studio

Top of the hours and going into and coming out of breaks tend to be particularly problematic - there was just a weird live wipe before the coming up sequence just now as well for no apparent reason.

MaxSkyNews Seemed to suggest some stuff is now operated by the Newsroom now rather than the Gallery though

Last edited by EastEngland on 20 January 2018 7:37pm - 3 times in total

Newer posts