The Newsroom

International News Presentation: Past and Present

(February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WO
Woodpecker

Openers to ZDF's 7pm heute news, and its more in-depth counterpart, heute-journal, from early 2009, not long before they moved into the massive virtual studio that is still used today (the "green hell", as it is referred to within ZDF). Incidentally, the presenter of the 7pm news in the first clip, Steffen Seibert, is now a spokesperson for the German government. IMO, this look is far superior to what came after it, which is still (with some modifications) in use today.
Last edited by Woodpecker on 19 January 2018 11:18pm - 2 times in total
Quatorzine Neko and sbahnhof 7 gave kudos
NG
noggin Founding member

Openers to ZDF's 7pm heute news, and its more in-depth counterpart, heute-journal, from early 2009, not long before they moved into the massive virtual studio that is still used today (the "green hell", as it is referred to within ZDF). Incidentally, the presenter of the 7pm news in the first clip, Steffen Seibert, is now a spokesperson for the German government. IMO, this look is far superior to what came after it, which is still (with some modifications) in use today.

It's amazing that ZDF spent so much money on great technology and kit and years later they still haven't managed to produce a virtual news set design and format that is in any way aesthetically pleasing or works particularly well... The terrible integration of real camera moves with virtual set moves is still horrible...

(That said - their previous set was very dated...)
bilky asko and ADmanamDA gave kudos
S7
sbahnhof 7
I'm in Germany at the moment and the amount of outdoor promotion for N24 wird Welt is incredible. Basically an ad at every train station I've been at this far.

The newspaper won't be happy at having their name 'borrowed' by a rival news provider... Will they? Confused

(Edit) Ah, it's the same company. https://www.welt.de/kultur/medien/article172560283/N24-wird-WELT-jetzt-auch-im-Fernsehen.html

I was getting mixed up with ARD's news channel, tagesschau24
WW
WW Update
I really like the open set used by ZDF in the 1980s and '90s.

This clip is from 1987:

And here's a clip after the mid-1990s update:

^^ Note the website at the 10:13 mark -- zdf.msnbc.de. At the time, ZDF was an online partner of MSNBC and its news website used elements of the American news service's branding.
Last edited by WW Update on 20 January 2018 3:00am - 7 times in total
RK
Rkolsen
WESH 2, the Hearst owned NBC affiliate in Orlando, Florida, launched an updated graphics package. The package is an envolution of their previous diagrid graphics package (most of their new sets feature the diagrid pattern) launched in 2012 ahead of the London Olympics. All of Hearst’s NBC affiliates will be getting the package prior to the Winter Olympics (most of their NBC affiliates got the graphics ahead of London). The Hearst graphics hub is based at WESH so they get new things first and act as a guinea pig. The station group has standardized on the VizRT system.

Video courtesy of MyNewsArchive over at TVNewsTalk.

Here’s an example of the previous package when it first launched locally at WBAL. As with all packages there are always tweaks but this is how it looked when the Diagrid theme first launched.

The package was inspired by the corporate headquarters in New York - Hearst Tower. The pattern of the tower is known as a diagrid which in construction uses less steel. Hearst Tower required 21% less steel than a typical skyscraper. The Gherkin in London is also an example of a building constructed with a diagrid.

WO
Woodpecker
From the Netherlands, the main edition of the Dutch public broadcaster's news, NOS Journaal, from 11 March 2011:

Another intro, this one from 2017, from a newly-refreshed studio:

In my opinion, the NOS Journaal music and titles used in the first clip are light years ahead to what they use now, which I find rather bland. Incidentally, the 2005 titles were designed by Lambie-Nairn, and the music was composed by Stephen Emmer, whose father was, for many years, a newsreader at the NOS.

You could say that Nieuwsuur (News Hour), is the Dutch answer to Newsnight: rather fittingly, it airs on their equivalent of BBC Two. This intro is from early 2016:

I touched upon a studio refresh earlier: this took place in autumn 2016. Before, the studios for NOS Journaal and Nieuwsuur stood on a rotating platform; since the refresh, this has been abandoned, and they now share a 360-degree studio, which you can see in, rather fittingly, a 360-degree video below:

And if you can put up with the music throughout, here is a video showing how the NOS Journaal studio has changed throughout the years:

(At 1:44, look out for the TVs that rise up from the floor on the Nieuwsuur set... Laughing )
WO
Woodpecker
A historical compilation of news intros used by ARD-member broadcaster BR in Bavaria since 1979:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEpdJg1v1x0

I love how they were still using a very 1990s theme until 2016, then suddenly the whole thing was dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century... (Incidentally, the logo and titles used until 2016 were designed by the programme's presenter, Stefan Scheider)
Last edited by Woodpecker on 20 January 2018 11:58pm
Quatorzine Neko and WW Update gave kudos
BB
BBI45
TVNZ 1 Breakfast with new co-host Hayley Holt, new studio, and updated graphics.:

Hilary Barry is moving to Seven Sharp.
chinamug, WW Update and watchingtv gave kudos
DB
dbl
The new set really opens it up.
WW
WW Update
Univision, United States; weekend national news, 2018:

Mouseboy33 and Rkolsen gave kudos
BB
BBI45
WW