TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
Some pretty awful graphics from Australia for the ODI Cricket featuring Australia v England I’m not sure if it’s another broadcaster that’s producing it but the scoreboard covers up too much of the screen.

Those are Channel Nine's ODI graphics - and are abysmal.

Let's have a look...

Oooh, those are nasty!

Why is there a retro looking Sky logo in the corner? I thought all the foreign ones were using the UK Sky logo now?
RE
Rex
JAS84 posted:
Some pretty awful graphics from Australia for the ODI Cricket featuring Australia v England I’m not sure if it’s another broadcaster that’s producing it but the scoreboard covers up too much of the screen.

Those are Channel Nine's ODI graphics - and are abysmal.

Let's have a look...

Oooh, those are nasty!

Why is there a retro looking Sky logo in the corner? I thought all the foreign ones were using the UK Sky logo now?

Sky NZ has no relation to the UK Sky operation.
NG
noggin Founding member
JAS84 posted:
Let's have a look...

Oooh, those are nasty!

Sky NZ has no relation to the UK Sky operation.

Yep - Sky NZ has always been very different (it was originally a scrambled analogue UHF over-the-air service like Canal+ in France or BBC Select overnight in the early 90s).

It was part-owned by News Corp at one point (hence the use of similar product branding like Sky+ and Sky Go for some of their platform) but AIUI News Corp sold their holdings a while ago, and so I guess they no longer share branding (if they ever did).
MY
MY83
Also I would surmise that if Sky Sport NZ had been a Murdoch enterprise from Day 1, it possibly would have been branded / launched as Fox
JA
japitts
Don't think the Pro14 could have screwed this up anymore had they tried.

As a matter of interest, how do you work this? Not criticising, just genuinely interested. At the moment it seems fair to say BT show club rugby and Sky show internationals. Admittedly Pro14 has limited English interest outside following the other home unions domestically, but their TV rights always seemed to be a bit of a mess
EE
EastEngland
Could BT not just overlay their own? Why are they using such graphics? They're horrific.
DV
DVB Cornwall
Could BT not just overlay their own? Why are they using such graphics? They're horrific.

Presumably yes, but to do so would need access to the in-play metadata from the ground/host broadcaster which may not be available. It would also need to be inserted in Australia prior to transmission to the UK to avoid delays. That would add a further layer of complication to what's accepted as very much a sideshow to the main event (the Ashes).
HA
harshy Founding member
Ste posted:
Here are the graphics being used for the ICC U19 World Cup in New Zealand which is currently showing on Sky Sports Cricket.

They seem to have gone back to a more familiar layout for this tournament.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Why is there no score on screen during the football. It’s overrunning into the Ten, but I haven’t got a clue by how much.
ST
Ste Founding member
Why is there no score on screen during the football. It’s overrunning into the Ten, but I haven’t got a clue by how much.

The scoreboard went off at the start of the second half too. It will be at least 10:30 before they can start then Ten. Perhaps later if there is penalties.
JA
japitts
I've had a post sitting in the comments box for the last month about my feeling that Sky were going to pull out of domestic Rugby Union coverage, but it was all just guesswork.

It was pretty clear to me that the Pro12/14 contact wasn't their priority, rather they were using it to build their portfolio to win the european contract outright . If it was a priority they would have hired a main commentary ran that wasn't Stuart Barnes and Miles Harrison. My guess is that they'll keep a hold of Super Rugby as it fills in a hole in the schedule during the weekend which would normally be empty.

The question now is whether Sky feel that international rugby alone is enough to draw in subscribers. A few years ago, the answer would have been no. But now that NOWtv has really taken off it may still be worthwhile.

Purely personal view, but it's their international rugby that keeps me subscribing. I get a decent enough offer from Virgin that it's worth keeping Sky Cinema & Sports on my account permanently rather than dipping in during international rugby seasons, but if Sanzar (and the summer tours with it) went I'd quite seriously reconsider that.
RD
rdd Founding member
I suspect that come June there’ll be a lot of Irish rugby fans in particular who’ll be considering whether Sky’s reduced offering of rugby union is worth continuing with. With European rugby gone to BT and the Pro14 off to Eir, really the last remaining draw is the summer tours. That’s one month of the year. I do like watching both the Rugby Championship and SuperRugby, but realistically even among rugby fans they are a niche interest. Now that doesn’t mean there won’t be other things, like the Premier League, that will mean people will keep their Sky subscriptions (baring mind in Ireland we don’t get the “pick one channel” the U.K. does). But if Rugby is your only interest, really Sky’s not so attractive any more. (Eir/BT-less Virgin Media might be even more hit by losing subscribers though).

To return to the Pro14, it’s a difficult sell TV rights wise. Just seven of the fourteen teams are UK based, and none of those is in England. That’s a hard sell to Sky and BT, particularly the latter who have effectively handed the sales and marketing of their channels in Ireland to Eir. BT are already carrying Premiership Rugby. In addition an exclusive deal isn’t on offer. The deal is shared rights with a number of FTA broadcasters. That’s just not an attractive proposition to UK pay TV companies.

For Eir they are effectively paying for rights in Ireland, and I would think Premier Sports contribution to this deal is minimal. I’d be assuming all coverage will be produced by Eir and will focus primarily on the Irish teams.

Newer posts