The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PL
plymouthbloke1974
Just clicked on the twitter link to find Kay Burley has blocked me! LOL!

Probably because of the tweet I sent her after her dreadful interview of the Alton Towers boss.... she doesn’t like criticism does she?!
DE
derek500
Stuart Murphy, when he was at Sky, blocked me when I moaned about continuity talking over the Mad Men credits. Sacrilege, as the show used different closing music to reflect each episode.
EE
EastEngland
You won't be seeing the shoebox today. Already moved the sofas out of position in that part of the studio.
RH
richard h
More cost cutting? Poor Ian King was sat in the dark during the link up with Adam Boulton on All Out Politics

edit Adam just said it he hasent gone into hiding it was a problem with the lighting Laughing
RH
richard h
The last time this studio will be on air (I think) is 6.30pm tonight.

That's good that Kay gets the final farewell. I'm sure she will have something to say about it maybe as todays picture of the day?
alexhb01 and JamesWorldNews gave kudos
EE
EastEngland
She's already made a couple of posts on Instagram about it
RE
Reece24
'Arctic Peril' is scheduled for 6-7pm, so the final moments will be just before 6pm.
EE
EastEngland
Are we still on the old gallery or on the new?

I guess having that program at that time gives them 3 hours to do anything changeover related.
DO
dosxuk
It's very unlikely the whole programme is being done from the new gallery, as that would involve wiring all the cameras and monitors from the old studio across to the new facilities for one day's use. But, the new gallery could be in circuit, taking the old studio as an outside source, and overall being produced from there.
EE
EastEngland
I was meaning in general - I'd assume shows from Millbank would be using it fully at this point?

On another topic

watchingtv, London Lite and richard h gave kudos
IS
Inspector Sands
Are there any television journalists who could answer this question; Do you prefer to work within the environment of the studio (a space designed to be featured on the TV as well desks around newsreaders, e.g. Sky News Centre 2005-current, BBC News) or to be in an office space designed and decorated just to be an office space and away from the studio?

I've worked in newsroom studios at a couple of places. One everyone was clearly in vision for a few years then they covered us up, but we were still in the same room. It's a bit of a pain really as you're aware that you are probably being seen by millions of people and you have to be careful what you're doing, no scratching an itch on your bum or throwing your arms up in the air in despair etc.

Colleagues of mine who were even nearer to the studio were often seen putting coats on or eating their lunch messily directly behind the presenter. The original Midlands Today setup was particularly bad for that as you'd often see people leaving for the day through the glass at one side of the studio. Very distracting.

Noise is the issue too, newsrooms get very noisy if there's stuff happening or breaking news. Lots of hubub and of course often people want to listen to feeds or other things when you're on air, so you've got to be quieter than a 'normal' newsroom which isn't ideal.

I later worked in a newsroom that was in the same open plan area as the studio but didn't have any of the problems above and it worked well. The good thing about it is that you do feel closer to the production than you do if the studio is down a corridor, also it doesn't seperate the presenters from the journalists as much. If between bulletins they'll come into the newsroom and interact with the editors rather than stay in the studio.

My parents liked it when I worked in a newsroom in the background of a studio though as they check on me and know I was well and at work!
IT
Ittr
looks like the N6-style studio might be coming today. Hopefully its not boring

Newer posts