The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
Well not everyone keeps up with channel rebrand like those of us on here

Also it's probably still called that on the TV system at Broadcasting House so that's what they type in as a caption

Since BBC News moved there AFTER ITV1 changed though, you would expect them to use the correct name.

I refer you to my first sentence....
NE
News96
Talking of rebrands.

NYTV and Rolling News gave kudos
TR
TROGGLES
Friday 12th Jan, a huge fire at Nottingham train station, Trump being a prat and cancelling a visit to the UK and then being racist again.... BBC News channel has screaming kids on a magazine item missing all the news and pushing it's rather boring, worthy and PC Woman's hour programme. This Victoria Derbyshire-less programme needs to be on BBC1 and let the News Channel get on with the job... the Clue is in the channels name Ms Unsworth

That said, I switched on a telly this morning and up popped the VD show, with a live report from 'dottingham railway station, which is where I learnt of the event. Obviously I was lucky.

Monday 15th Jan, Britain's biggest contractor collapses a £1.5 billion company. 20,00 workers and pensions at risk.
Switch on BBC News channel... its full of kids in a creche again - teenage pregnancy magazine woman's hour worthiness story yet again. Where is the NEWS Ms Unsworth? If Sky can run the story why can't you?
MA
Markymark
Friday 12th Jan, a huge fire at Nottingham train station, Trump being a prat and cancelling a visit to the UK and then being racist again.... BBC News channel has screaming kids on a magazine item missing all the news and pushing it's rather boring, worthy and PC Woman's hour programme. This Victoria Derbyshire-less programme needs to be on BBC1 and let the News Channel get on with the job... the Clue is in the channels name Ms Unsworth

That said, I switched on a telly this morning and up popped the VD show, with a live report from 'dottingham railway station, which is where I learnt of the event. Obviously I was lucky.

Monday 15th Jan, Britain's biggest contractor collapses a £1.5 billion company. 20,00 workers and pensions at risk.
Switch on BBC News channel... its full of kids in a creche again - teenage pregnancy magazine woman's hour worthiness story yet again. Where is the NEWS Ms Unsworth? If Sky can run the story why can't you?

I wasn't defending the programme ! Personally I consider watching any telly during the day as a slightly vulgar activity YMMV (I was retuning BBC 4 on my mother's telly last Friday BTW)
IT
Ittr
Talking of rebrands.

hmm... new studio. possible upcoming rebrand maybe? (since we are approaching 10 years of the 2008 look, and 5 years of the 2013 modifications)
FL
flexiblefriend
'Big new studio look' does imply some significant changes but it's hard to imagine what in the space they have. Probably be something like new branding and some new camera angles.
CI
cityprod
The only thing I could think of is it coming from the virtual studio with a whole different backdrop, cos all the other studios would not be available, but that's a long shot outta left field and frankly very unlikely.
WO
Worzel
It would be good if it was done from in the newsroom, but I doubt that'll happen.

They might do some VR graphics stuff though, like they do on Afternoon Live? Martine Croxall alluded to some technical changes yesterday.
CC
CyberCD
I think you'll be impressed. Same space, new toys.
AL
ALV
Something I've noticed regarding on the "syncing" issue during NC and WN overnight simulcasts - When programmes being simulcasted are not produced locally from Broadcasting House's gallery (e.g Sport Today from Salford studio's gallery, Asia Business Report from Singapore studio's gallery), NC's feed seems to be a second "off" when compared to WN's feed.

Take the following NC and WN simulcast extract I've recorded as an example(Yes I know I'm a weirdo I watch BBC News on both channels in late nights...):

On Newsday (00:00 in video) and the bottom-of-the-hour headlines (01:29 in the video) where it's produced by Studio C's gallery in Broadcasting House, both NC and WN's output seems completely in sync, judging by the audio that there's not much "echo". (Oops let's never mind WN accidentally cutting into NC's domestic headlines while joining ABR!)

However, on Asia Business Report (02:46 in video) where it's produced by Singapore's studio gallery, it's significant that NC's output is out of sync with WN's output by 0.5 - 1 second. This can be noticed when listening to Rico Hizon's voice and observing the lower thirds pop ups.

On Sport Today (07:22 in video) where it's produced by Salford's studio gallery, the out of sync issue is more significant, when listening to Nick Marshall's voice.

Is this something about satallite and terrestrial delays, where satallite transmissions are faster than terrestrial transmissions, or is it something about the acquisition of feeds? (I assume RedBee Media is taking the Asia Business Report and Sport Today feeds directly from their respective galleries, while NC's Studio C is relaying RedBee Media's feed, which causes NC's output being a little bit "later" than WN....

The curiousity is driving me crazy! I hope some insiders can clear my mind up! Confused

(Btw apologies to the admins that I posted a similar post on a wrong thread recently Crying or Very sad ..)
DO
dosxuk
How are you compensating for the different amounts of time it will take for the pictures to get to you?
HB
HarryB
Talking of rebrands.

This was shown during the ad breaks on OS.

News96, Custard56 and Newsroom24 gave kudos

Newer posts