Media Websites

YouTube Gold

ClassicTV gold on youtube (February 2007)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
HC
Hatton Cross
Bail posted:
Can I use this moment to say that this is probably my favorite ident of all time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsaX1ILMWNg

Penarth Pier, if I'm not mistaken.
I'm facinated by how they shot that.
Obviously not a steadycam shot. Brave operator to lean over the sides of the pier and keep the shot that smooth.

The R>L tracking is so smooth and seemless. First I thought it was a done with a technocrane, placed centre of the pier, then moving the boom arm very slowly across, but you'd expect some sort of angle repositioned issues halfway across.

So, now thinking it may have been done with the camera on a dolly rail, which itself was positioned about a foot above and a foot each side over the side rails and of the pier and done it that way.
BE
benriggers
rob posted:
JoshX posted:
That has some great potential to make it as a screensaver.

Who uses screensavers in this day and age?

Me.

Same here. I'm actually old-fashioned but I still use a desktop PC. I use this brilliant screensaver from Andrew Wiseman.
http://625.uk.com/tv_logos/flash/download_flash_scr.asp?file=bbc1_clock_84
RO
rob Founding member
I stand corrected. Smile
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
While its true screensavers aren't needed for their original purpose these days, the presence of the "on resume, display logon screen" option is very useful in certain environments. Windows 10 depreciates screensavers to a degree (making them much harder to find to set them up) but they are still there. And they still look pretty and homely - I find returning to a computer with an active screensaver running more interesting than one that still has open whatever I left before I wandered off...
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
How You Bet! looked in the Bruce Forsyth years, this episode featuring John McCririck, Suzi Quattro and Bob Holness:
LL
Larry the Loafer
Did You Bet hit the ground running or did it only start to get popular when Matthew Kelly took over? I only ask because a lot of people seem to overlook Brucie's initial tenure of hosting the show.
:-(
A former member
Bruices had three years with the show, and the famous music as seen above come in the second series, Bruice only left to go back to the BBC. Its like Stars in your eyes...
RD
RDJ
I believe you can hear an excerpt of the original theme in this promo here.

SP
Steve in Pudsey
That sounds more like the kind of thing that would be an underscore version used during the challenges rather than the full theme.
SW
Steve Williams
Did You Bet hit the ground running or did it only start to get popular when Matthew Kelly took over? I only ask because a lot of people seem to overlook Brucie's initial tenure of hosting the show.

It was certainly popular enough when Brucie was doing it, but I know that while he enjoyed doing it, it didn't give him as many opportunities to muck about as his other formats and he had to do a lot of straight presenting in it. It perhaps also wasn't a show where the presenter can really shine because it's quite a complex format.

People don't really think about Brucie doing it because it doesn't really seem like a Brucie show when he would dominate proceedings. It's a bit like how I always thought The Price Is Right was a bit of a waste of his talents because the format was so overwhelming there weren't enough opportunities for him to do his regular bits of business, it was all a bit frantic. Whereas on Play Your Cards Right the simple format meant he could do all kinds of things around it.
IT
IndigoTucker
You need to be able to sing along to a theme.... thats what made the second You Bet theme so good... "You bet! Da-Da You Bet!"
PE
peterrocket Founding member
You can hear one of the original bits of music used for the challenges in this one, plus a bit of a sting.

Newer posts