The Newsroom

Sky News: Presenters & Rotas

Chat about Sky News Presenters and Rotas Here (July 2010)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BB
BBI45
Did I just hear Dominic Waghorn use the term 's*** hole' during a debate?

He has just used it again. I think that, on the grounds that young children are unlikely to be watching and that the language used is a central part of the story, limited use is justified in my opinion. I can't recall a news story appearing before where such terms were a central part of the story. In this situation, you have two choices:

a) Say the word occasionally when justifiable
b) Not use the word and possibly face criticism for shying away from the story.
LJ
Live at five with Jeremy
This is the first time I've seen Dominic in the presenters chair and he is fantastic. It probably helps that his area of expertise is the main news item but I can see him having a very successful future as a presenter/on-location anchor. Like a young Mark Austin or Jeremy Thompson me thinks!
DE
derek500

Does anyone know whether other news channels are using this term in their reports?

What sort of process is there in place for permitting the use of such words?

I expect as it fits Sky News' incessant anti-Trump agenda it's allowed.
AL
alexjac0788

Does anyone know whether other news channels are using this term in their reports?

I should imagine OFCOM are gearing up for a multitude of complaints! Rolling Eyes
:-(
A former member

BBC have said It.
FU
fusionlad Founding member

Don't talk wet.
TE
tellyfreak501
Such pearl-clutching! It's necessary to know exactly what he said in order to put the story into proper context. If people follow the news and have kids or are themselves sensitive, they'll know to steer clear today, but anyone who doesn't relish being "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" by writing hourly e-mails to Ofcom any time anyone says "bottom" will no doubt be more offended by Trump's choice of words than by coverage of them from any broadcaster.
AL
alexjac0788
Such pearl-clutching! It's necessary to know exactly what he said in order to put the story into proper context. If people follow the news and have kids or are themselves sensitive, they'll know to steer clear today, but anyone who doesn't relish being "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells" by writing hourly e-mails to Ofcom any time anyone says "bottom" will no doubt be more offended by Trump's choice of words than by coverage of them from any broadcaster.

I'd like to point out that my comments on the subject were with regards to my genuine interest in the process of allowing broadcasters to use such words when quoting - or not, as his claims to the contrary suggest - significant figures, such as Donald Trump. It takes a lot more than that to offend me!
EE
EastEngland
Kimberley was good tonight, I've been a critic of her but felt she did well on 5.00pm - 7.00pm.

Gamal is doing a five hour shift tonight it seems.
BA
bilky asko
Swearing on the news is nothing new:

DE
derek500
They just can't stop saying it now!!! For years we've had reports of Presidents, Prime Ministers and those in high office using foul language but they've never repeated it on air.

Why now?
BA
bilky asko
They just can't stop saying it now!!! For years we've had reports of Presidents, Prime Ministers and those in high office using foul language but they've never repeated it on air.

Why now?

Because this language (and other language that's not been reported) has caused an international reaction, with major public figures calling it racist.

Newer posts