The Newsroom

BBC News Channel Presentation - 21/03/16 onwards

Split from BBC News Channel General Discussion (March 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RE
Rex

Oh dear lord.....

Good. They need a prayer for some fresh ideas....

Seems like to me, the last complete top to bottom major change in BBC World was from the Flags era to the swirling globes. So far its just been IMO updates (swirling globe on black background to swirling globe on white) and smaller subtle changes, that the average viewer wouldn't even notice. Its all tired and samey looking IMO. Plus every European no-mark pubcaster has red/white swirling globes. Yawn. Keep praying.

I'm not sure you've got the gist of what that post meant.
News96, London Lite and Steve in Pudsey gave kudos
MO
Mouseboy33
No i did. Rolling Eyes
Keep praying
TF
TellyFan
Simon McCoy is back for the first programme of Afternoon Live. His Year is not off the best of starts as he said “You’re watching Afternoon Live on Sky Ne... uh, BBC News!”
RK
Rkolsen
Simon McCoy is back for the first programme of Afternoon Live. His Year is not off the best of starts as he said “You’re watching Afternoon Live on Sky Ne... uh, BBC News!”

I can understand if he just made the jump to the BBC but you have to wonder how that happened when he’s been full time with BBC for 13 years.
IN
Independent

Seems like to me, the last complete top to bottom major change in BBC World was from the Flags era to the swirling globes. So far its just been IMO updates (swirling globe on black background to swirling globe on white) and smaller subtle changes, that the average viewer wouldn't even notice.

Al Jazeera English. The idents, music and titles have been the same ones since inception. The lower thirds have only been tweaked over the last 11 years. 'News Grid' is practically the only major change in its 11 year existence and it's music is just a remix.

Change for the sake of change seems like an American habit to me.
CI
cityprod

Seems like to me, the last complete top to bottom major change in BBC World was from the Flags era to the swirling globes. So far its just been IMO updates (swirling globe on black background to swirling globe on white) and smaller subtle changes, that the average viewer wouldn't even notice.

Al Jazeera English. The idents, music and titles have been the same ones since inception. The lower thirds have only been tweaked over the last 11 years. 'News Grid' is practically the only major change in its 11 year existence and it's music is just a remix.

Change for the sake of change seems like an American habit to me.

To be frank, we've had this basic graphical look since 2008 with some minor alterations in 2013, and in many ways, the presentation of news generally requires somewhat of a refresh and rethink, not just on the BBC either.

Do we need in depth story coverage on bulletins, when we can go online and get the depth we want in the stories we want. Do we need live on the scene reports for stories that happened a day or more ago, when a packaged report is probably better at telling the story. There's all sorts of things about how we consume news that has changed, but the television news bulletin in some ways feels like somewhat of a museum piece.

There have been some good innovations and ideas worldwide but I know not all of them are going to work, but maybe its time we look at news presentation and say, it's time to make some changes to the basic idea of what a news programme does.
LL
London Lite Founding member

There have been some good innovations and ideas worldwide but I know not all of them are going to work, but maybe its time we look at news presentation and say, it's time to make some changes to the basic idea of what a news programme does.

Something akin to Franceinfo could be possible on the NC. A stripped down news service with pre-recorded features, yet covers breaking news with a simulcast of France 24 overnight.

This gave Franceinfo the USP of having a distinctive rolling news service compared to the commercial BFMTV, CNEWS and LCI which have similar rolling news formats.
CR
Critique
The News Channel doing something I've not seen before ahead of the evening BBC One news at 18:05 - they had a filler in the preceding back half-hour (the Film Review), which they started a few minutes later than usual, meaning it was still airing at the 6pm TOTH and eventually finished at something like 18:02. We then had a weather forecast, trail and a bit of the filler countdown before headlines at 18:05. It means that NC viewers didn't get a headline sequence twice within five minutes as is often the case at the weekend, but it's not exactly headlines on the hour every hour anymore!
WO
Worzel
Without documenting every shot used on the news channel, they seemed to use a new one today for the business news at the screens just now. When the presenter interviewed a guest through the middle screen, the far camera tracked/sweeped along slowly behind the presenter (instead of zooming in) which worked really well. Wasn't able to capture it though.
TR
TROGGLES
Friday 12th Jan, a huge fire at Nottingham train station, Trump being a prat and cancelling a visit to the UK and then being racist again.... BBC News channel has screaming kids on a magazine item missing all the news and pushing it's rather boring, worthy and PC Woman's hour programme. This Victoria Derbyshire-less programme needs to be on BBC1 and let the News Channel get on with the job... the Clue is in the channels name Ms Unsworth
JA
Jarv
Totally agree, Victoria Live is such an awlful programme
CI
cityprod
The Victoria Derbyshire Programme is really barely a news programme. It really feels more like it should be a Feature Production programme rather than News.

Newer posts