The Newsroom

Sky News presentation - New studio onwards

(October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DO
dosxuk
Seen three guests in different locations have sound problems in the last 20 minutes not being able to hear Kay.

Are they fully using the new building for production now? Seems there are some teething issues with communications.

Edit:
Kay has just confirmed that Sky are having all sorts of communication issues due to having two studios running at the moment. Wonder if it's related to just the current studio or something more to do with issues communicating from the new production suite.

If they're in their final week of rehersals for the new production areas, it's likely the guests are being used for both the live and rehersal productions, which opens up lots of possibilities for mispatching / miscommunications, especially since passing an outside source between two different production teams / areas won't be a scenario that happens very often at Sky News, now or in the future. It's unlikely that the control systems will have had the functionality built in, so it'll be lots of manual patching, all while a producer is complaining that he wanted to speak to that guest five minutes ago but was held up by "that other lot".
EE
EastEngland
Cheers - very informative post - I guessed it may be something like that.
MA
mapperuo
I can confirm the OBs have been doing rehearsals into the new studio all day yes. So most likely related to the comm issues.
CA
cat

No new theme tune

*sigh*

I suppose we should wait and see, but...

1. return of the unchanged, dull glass box

2. same bland, hard to read on screen graphics, never ending swoosh noise

3. tinny, boring intro and music

Meh.
EE
EastEngland
Instead of just going to a break, we've gone to a snow report showing a map for Saturday PM talking about the chances of snow over Christmas - seen a few weird things today but that's the most odd one!
RD
RDJ
cat posted:

No new theme tune

*sigh*

Meh.

It's no longer the bold, brash and ambitious Sky News that we all used to know.

I remember Sky News being my news channel of choice when Freeview first launched in 2002 and I would pick that over BBC News 24 any day.

Now I barely ever watch Sky News as it's just so boring, staid and plain unwatchable now. And moving back into the glass box of horrors is just making matters worse.
:-(
A former member
RDJ posted:
cat posted:

No new theme tune

*sigh*

Meh.

I remember Sky News being my news channel of choice when Freeview first launched in 2002 and I would pick that over BBC News 24 any day.

Now I barely ever watch Sky News as it's just so boring, staid and plain unwatchable now. And moving back into the glass box of horrors is just making matters worse.

It’s still leagues about BBC News though
TM
tmorgan96
RDJ posted:
cat posted:

*sigh*

Meh.

It’s still leagues about BBC News though

No it's not. I was recently in the UK and I felt watching both, that the BBC was a much more appealing product. Authorative and well-presented. Watching Sky News was like watching a group of interns trying to put together a news channel (no offence) - the whole thing felt disjointed and strangely designed to be both boring and plain.
EE
EastEngland
I'll leave this here

JR
JRY
Surprised we haven't seen any press shots of the new studio - if it's being used for Sunrise you'd have thought they'd release something. Obviously this whole thing is very very low key.

Missed opportunity for a wider refresh of the brand, IMO.
MO
Moz
Why is Sky News currently showing a documentary about whales?
SJ
sjhoward
I don't know whether the documentary showing was planned, but as someone who had just tuned in, it was certainly jarring - breaking news on Julian Assange, "we'll explore what this means for Assange later", ads, cue the whales (with no intro or TOTH)... I've flicked over to the Beeb.

Newer posts