TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Originally the extra fixture was for S4C but seems to have been for BBC Wales itself in recent years.

Interesting that yesterday the live match effectively took place within Football Focus. Although MOTD was scheduled as a separate programme from the kick-off time Football Focus was basically the MOTD style build up to the match and there was no on screen indication of the switch from one to the other apart from the game beginning.
HA
harshy Founding member
Not sure that the BBC Wales coverage of Newport County vs Leeds is in HD, the graphics certainly seem to be upscaled. Always a little surprising that the away team's region, eg BBC Yorkshire, don't opt out to take this coverage.

It's certainly being distributed to BBC One Wales in SD. The match is probably being produced in HD and when the highlights are shown in England later they will be in HD, so limitations with the BBC Wales distribution chain?

Must be BBC Wales all native feeds are HD and possibly 422

confirmed it was in hd
SW
Steve Williams
I don’t think there’s an official reason, but the reason I can think of which makes most sense is that the semi finals of the Carabao Cup take place next week, United obviously got knocked out at the last round but could have been playing next week. One would assume the fixtures have been too close. Still 8pm on a Friday is a random choice.

That's exactly the reason. As both City and United are at home, one couldn't play on the Saturday because they never do. Usually they'd move to Sunday but when the draw was made both teams were still in the League Cup, so Man U moved to Friday instead. Liverpool did that against Oldham a few seasons ago, Everton were at home as well so Liverpool played on the Friday, not on television.

Because of the timing clash? I don't think the BBC and BT picks have ever clashed have they?

And the match was being played on Friday because neither the Beeb or BT picked it.

Not sure that the BBC Wales coverage of Newport County vs Leeds is in HD, the graphics certainly seem to be upscaled. Always a little surprising that the away team's region, eg BBC Yorkshire, don't opt out to take this coverage.

Aside from the fact the English regions don't have that automony, if you were going to do that you may as well show it on the entire network. But they're not, so clearly it's only permitted to be shown on BBC Wales. I know you can still see it everywhere but the network don't shout about it.
BR
Brekkie
You could then say BBC London might as well show Tottenham v AFC Wimbledon, plus I'm sure theres games of interest across the regions which arguably deserve an airing in the teams region.

Indeed apart from in recent years in Wales has the FA Cup always shown it's live fixtures on a national basis or has there been times when (presumably on ITV) some games were shown on a regional basis.
MR
mromega
It's a bit clumsy

It's certainly being distributed to BBC One Wales in SD. The match is probably being produced in HD and when the highlights are shown in England later they will be in HD, so limitations with the BBC Wales distribution chain?

confirmed it was in hd

So on BBC One Wales HD, it was a HD source downscaled to SD then upscaled to HD - no wonder the picture looked so ropey.
HA
harshy Founding member
It's a bit clumsy

confirmed it was in hd

So on BBC One Wales HD, it was a HD source downscaled to SD then upscaled to HD - no wonder the picture looked so ropey.

Is Wales Tonight in HD, I don’t think it is maybe the transmission suite in Wales still isn’t HD?
MA
Markymark
It's a bit clumsy
confirmed it was in hd

Is Wales Tonight in HD, I don’t think it is maybe the transmission suite in Wales still isn’t HD?

Wales Today is an SD studio. BBC 1 Wales playout is HD. That Wales Live thing on Wednesday uses BBC Wales'
HD OB truck in 'drive in' mode.
RD
rdd Founding member
Unconfirmed report that Sky appear to have lost the Pro14 rights to Eir Sport, at least in Ireland.

http://www.the42.ie/eir-sport-pro14-tv-rights-3793899-Jan2018/

While it doesn’t mention the UK, Eir Sport’s close friends Premier Sports might be in line to pick up the rights there in that case, given they are badly in need for a replacement for the NRL.
BR
Brekkie
Sounds more like they've won the rights TG4 had to me.
HC
Hatton Cross
rdd posted:

While it doesn’t mention the UK, Eir Sport’s close friends Premier Sports might be in line to pick up the rights there in that case, given they are badly in need for a replacement for the NRL.

Although BT Sport and Eir are also friendly. Isn't BT Sport shown to fill in the Eir Sport gaps?
JO
Jon
BT Sport could have gone in with Eir on a U.K. and Ireland basis. Don’t U.K. rights usually include Ireland?
RO
robertclark125
I think the way the Pro 14 rights are done, certainly for the UK, it's each of the three unions sell the "regional" rights, hence BBC Wales and S4C show games live, as do BBC Scotland, and BBC Northern Ireland. The Sky deal is really on a pan UK basis, but in effect is the English rights to the competition.

Newer posts