The Newsroom

New Meridian, BBC South & South East Thread

(July 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Similarly, I'm assuming ITV News Westcountry isn't marking Westcountry's 25th anniversary, and wouldn't expect them to, given that what was Westcountry Television doesn't exist anymore.

They've been marking anniversaries from the start of the original local ITV company, Westward Television, so I'm not expecting them to mark anything for a few years yet.

It was Westcountry TV that marked those anniversaries, not what is now ITV News Westcountry.

My point was that given Westcountry TV doesn't exist anymore, and now comes from Bristol (from what was HTV West), it seems highly unlikely that ITV News Westcountry will mark any anniversaries of the Westward/TSW/Westcountry region in the future.
CI
cityprod
Similarly, I'm assuming ITV News Westcountry isn't marking Westcountry's 25th anniversary, and wouldn't expect them to, given that what was Westcountry Television doesn't exist anymore.

They've been marking anniversaries from the start of the original local ITV company, Westward Television, so I'm not expecting them to mark anything for a few years yet.

It was Westcountry TV that marked those anniversaries, not what is now ITV News Westcountry.

My point was that given Westcountry TV doesn't exist anymore, and now comes from Bristol (from what was HTV West), it seems highly unlikely that ITV News Westcountry will mark any anniversaries of the Westward/TSW/Westcountry region in the future.

Actually it was Carlton that marked the 40th anniversary, Westcountry Television didn't really exist at that point either.
KE
kernow

Actually it was Carlton that marked the 40th anniversary, Westcountry Television didn't really exist at that point either.

Back then, it was still Westcountry Television in all but name. It was the same operation coming from the same facilities, with the same staff. Although it was branded as Carlton Westcountry, technically it was still "Westcountry Television Limited", which remained as the legal company name (including the company name on the franchise) throughout the Carlton era.
ME
meridiantvfan
Great to see Carl Tyler tonight...and Martin Davis from Australia...no mention of Gemma though hmm oh well
KE
kernow
Great to see Carl Tyler tonight...and Martin Davis from Australia...no mention of Gemma though hmm oh well

Gemma was shown in a clip at the start of tonight's report. She was also shown (together with other presenters) in previews earlier in the week.
RO
rob Founding member
Good lord... this is the worst recreation of a logo I've seen in years.

RD
RDJ
Surely they would have looked at the original before attempting a recreation?! That logo would have been ok if they didn't completely mess up the sun rays.
CI
cityprod

Back then, it was still Westcountry Television in all but name. It was the same operation coming from the same facilities, with the same staff. Although it was branded as Carlton Westcountry, technically it was still "Westcountry Television Limited", which remained as the legal company name (including the company name on the franchise) throughout the Carlton era.

As much as Westcountry Television was still the legal company name, it was about as far away from the original Westcountry Television as Westcountry had been from TSW. It was Carlton in all but legal name. It was so much different that to say the legal name had any bearing on the output, is like saying that there were significant differences between Westward and TSW. Nothing could be further from the truth. TSW were Westward in all but name and logo. Here the opposite is true. The legal name might have been the same but the company was so different at that point compared to its original incarnation, as to be in effect two separate companies.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Companies don't make programmes, people do, and if those people are the same people who used to work for Westcountry then they will know when the anniversaries are.
ME
meridiantvfan

Gemma was shown in a clip at the start of tonight's report. She was also shown (together with other presenters) in previews earlier in the week.

Oh I see but not interviewed etc ? I didn't know about all this, don't like to miss anything !
CI
cityprod
Companies don't make programmes, people do, and if those people are the same people who used to work for Westcountry then they will know when the anniversaries are.

Companies are groups of people, and the culture of a company comes from the top down. The difference between Westcountry circa 1993, and Westcountry circa 2001, was a massive culture change that came when Carlton Communications bought them in 1996. That whole story by the way is weird enough, with Carlton actually being treated as a white knight in a battle between GWR (the old radio company) and United News & Media, who owned neighbouring HTV. But yeah, the company that existed in 2001, was way different from the original company that launched on screen in 1993.
AS
astontv
https://youtu.be/I3YGqCV6GgI 25 years of Meridian weather

Newer posts